Bike Stopped Going

sleeves

Nitrous
Ride
05 R3 Std
Any suggestions advice greatly appreciated. Was on motorway, 60mph, bike entirely cut out on me, caosted to a stop. Checked all fuses, OK. Checked power, had enough. There was no starter, or ignition. Put it on a tow truck :mad: and got it home and it went fine.

I noticed that when it stopped (the engine cut out entirely) both the oil and temp digital arrows were flashing, the oil I can explain away as the motor was not going so it has to be the high temperature cut out. It did not smell hot and I could comfortably out my hand on top of the engine. It was raining and the day was not hot. Bike is 05 and unmodified, only 2200km form new

gotta be the ignition switch. yeah the ignition switch. what the other three said.
even though i have no clue since i have yet to take delivery of mine. I just like their confidence!!!!:D

mutt

Mine had similar symptoms once. It was not the switch itself, though. It was a wire underneath that was sheared. The bike would re-start all right, as long as the handlebar was turned to the right:confused:Best wishes. Jamie

Hi thanks to everyone, yeah to scot in exile, just bought the thing a few weeks ago with only 1200km on the clock, the owner fell off it in his driveway and broke 5 ribs. Had it fixed by insurance and never rode it again. I got it and it will be ridden now. have actually been a bit worried about wiring, switches etc being corroded from sitting in th garage.

Anyway found the problem long sotry, enjoy, laugh etc. Went out to the shed in the afternoon and thought "It would be typical that now its been on a tow truck, then sat in the shed for a bit if it just starts and runs" and sure enough.... I looked at the display and noticed that the digital arrow near the temp gauge was not flashing now, as both oil and temp were, when it stopped (thought this was just part of the fault)

A friend came round with the service manual and we were looking for an electrical fault as thats what it felt like for sure, he reckoned ignition too. We then found was no coolant in the bike and put about a litre in. The tank under the bearclaw was completely empty. The motor never felt or smelt hot when the bike stopped though. He thinks that when the previous owner fell off there the shop that repaired it may not have refilled this tank to the correct level and this was the problem. If this is the case the bikes safety system cetainly did its job but I would have liked just a little warning before it just switched off.

We topped up the radiator, filled the expansion tank and checked the bleed on the motor, then ran the bike in the shed for about half an hour, no problems, no coolant leaks, fan cut in and out, bike did not shut down. Time for another ride.

Thanks again for everyones comments, Have a Merry Xmas and safe journeys.:)

Hi thanks to everyone, yeah to scot in exile, just bought the thing a few weeks ago with only 1200km on the clock, the owner fell off it in his driveway and broke 5 ribs. Had it fixed by insurance and never rode it again. I got it and it will be ridden now. have actually been a bit worried about wiring, switches etc being corroded from sitting in th garage.

Anyway found the problem long sotry, enjoy, laugh etc. Went out to the shed in the afternoon and thought "It would be typical that now its been on a tow truck, then sat in the shed for a bit if it just starts and runs" and sure enough.... I looked at the display and noticed that the digital arrow near the temp gauge was not flashing now, as both oil and temp were, when it stopped (thought this was just part of the fault)

A friend came round with the service manual and we were looking for an electrical fault as thats what it felt like for sure, he reckoned ignition too. We then found was no coolant in the bike and put about a litre in. The tank under the bearclaw was completely empty. The motor never felt or smelt hot when the bike stopped though. He thinks that when the previous owner fell off there the shop that repaired it may not have refilled this tank to the correct level and this was the problem. If this is the case the bikes safety system cetainly did its job but I would have liked just a little warning before it just switched off.

We topped up the radiator, filled the expansion tank and checked the bleed on the motor, then ran the bike in the shed for about half an hour, no problems, no coolant leaks, fan cut in and out, bike did not shut down. Time for another ride.

Thanks again for everyones comments, Have a Merry Xmas and safe journeys.:)

I love happy endings (come on Flip the door is open) now put some bloody miles on the beast:D Treat the bike well or it might break your ribs tooooooooooo;)

Back