Bike stalls when I shift into gear.

Oldwarrior

08 Touring
Ride
08 Rocket iii touring
Bike stalls when I shift into gear. neutral she starts and runs just fine at first she wouldn't shift but a few minutes later she will but stalls.

Bike stalls when I shift into gear. neutral she starts and runs just fine at first she wouldn't shift but a few minutes later she will but stalls.
#8 in the diagram. Looks like normally open, so I guess you can check the continuity of the switch and see if it's open with the kick stand up, switch not actuated, would that be correct???
If not sure, one position should have continuity and the other none.
GL, hope your not stuck somewhere like I was last week!!! I was lucky, I left my light probe in the bag, for some reason it all fell apart and had to find all the little pieces in the bottom, it's always something. Added a can of either and WD-40, there's a couple good flashlights in there too, always nice to have light 😁🥂 all added to the mess in the bag, have to get to that sometime 🤣🤞😉😁🥂
Be safe bro

You might be able to track it easier with the diagram I imagine they are pretty much the same unless you have a new 2.5L model, Nope looks like mine 08 R3T GL
Shifting problem a different animal, could be shifting selector, if needs to be replaced you'll have to crack the case open, hope not.

If it's a won't stay in gear while holding shifter with your foot to hold it down or up, or won't go in neutral that could be detent spring. Much easier and more common

Pretty hard to break the gear selector, pretty much have to drop it on that side or hit it with a hammer. Does the shifter spring back after you shift, that could be the selector spring, doubt that would break or wear out also, very thick.
If you need the whole manual PDF look in the member IDK 's signature on here, it's in the uploads

Attachments

• Screenshot_20220610-174827.jpg
    Screenshot_20220610-174827.jpg
    64.1 KB · Views: 15
Last edited:
IF you put it in gear with the kickstand down it will kill the engine
kickstand has to be up or in neutral to run

If you disconnect the switch it should start up or down no,?? It looks to me to be a normally open switch, when the stand is down it acuates it, and it would be closed circuit. I would think, just a guess.
And if I were you I would replace it cause sometimes you might forget to put it up, I've done it once, it's really Scarry when you find out in a corner 😳🥂😉
Just go here and order this $10 plus shipping.

Or a new one $55 + sh

Last edited:
But if the KS switch is stuck when you put it up it will still think it's down and kill the motor when putting in gear

good question
i think when when the stand goes up it pushes the switch button in
so i am going to guess that it the switch was out of position/bracket then it might signal the ecu that the stand was down.
edit
also guessing if the switch was to stick it would stick in the off position

good question
i think when when the stand goes up it pushes the switch button in
so i am going to guess that it the switch was out of position/bracket then it might signal the ecu that the stand was down.
edit
also guessing if the switch was to stick it would stick in the off position
Yeah but an electrical diagram is drawn as powered, and actuating different switches changes things, if you pushed the start button it completes that part of the system, the ECU just adds everything up, if this is power, and that and so on, different things will happen, like the fuel pump relay won't make the circuit unless the ECU says it's ok to power the coil in the relay to pull it in, turn it on, the kickstand down should actuate the switch and will close it, cause it's normally open in the diagram, no??

I'd say we all are pointing to the same switch, replace it, unless the wire is frayed or something

Yeah but an electrical diagram is drawn as powered, and actuating different switches changes things, if you pushed the start button it completes that part of the system, the ECU just adds everything up, if this is power, and that and so on, different things will happen, like the fuel pump relay won't make the circuit unless the ECU says it's ok to power the coil in the relay to pull it in, turn it on, the kickstand down should actuate the switch and will close it, cause it's normally open in the diagram, no??

I'd say we all are pointing to the same switch, replace it, unless the wire is frayed or something

You r a little off on the explaining
But you r right on about the kickstand switch
Replace

Back