RocketDaryl

Top Fuel
Ride
2019 Indian Scout Sixty
I know I've lamented in here before about my not understanding the need to buy a bike and then modding it to go faster, etc... instead of just buying a faster bike to begin with. A lot of you chimed in with your own reasons for doing it and it made sense. Basically, you do it because you can or it's fun or it's just your way of killing your day in an entertaining fashion. Okay, I get that.

Well, I guess my latest discovery must fall under the same category. If you don't know much about Harleys, then this tale likely won't make sense to you. I ran into a guy a week or so ago and was admiring his bike. It was, what I thought, a Softail Custom. However, it was not a Softail Custom. It was a Nightrain. He had chromed the the entire bike including the engine, tranny, primary, etc... His chrome had chrome. The bike was stunning. It was absolutely perfect in every way.

This leads me back to the same question I asked about doing mods. Why? This time, however, it goes farther. Again, you guys set me straight on the need to mod. I'm good with that. But, if you're compelled to do it, would you not buy something that's at least somewhat close to what you want? I mean this guy couldn't have picked a more opposite bike to start with. Nightrains are completely blacked out. Hell, even the mirrors are black. The guy had at least $12K invested in the transformation. He wasn't sure of the exact number. He said the wheels alone cost $2500.

The reason I was checking it out is because it was for sale. What was he asking? $18k. Frankly, that was a steal for the bike. Sure, that's about the price of a new one. However, his was mint and had less than 2500 miles on it and to do what he did to one, even if you started with a Softail Custom (which would already have some of the stuff on it from the factory), would cost $6 or $7 grand. That brings me to my point.

If he'd have started with a Custom instead of a Nightrain, he could've saved himself thousands.

Some of those HD folks have more money than they know what to do with.

Maybe he's just bored and wants to try another bike ?

For myself, I love putting lots of shiny bits on my bike. I even put LED lights on.
It's supposedly about expressing oneself in making the bike look a certain way.
:cool:

Some of those HD folks have more money than they know what to do with.

Maybe he's just bored and wants to try another bike ?

For myself, I love putting lots of shiny bits on my bike. I even put LED lights on.
It's supposedly about expressing oneself in making the bike look a certain way.
:cool:

Yeah, I get that. Almost everyone puts their personal touch on their machines. The fact that he took a completely blacked out bike and reversed it was the head scratcher for me. That was the most expensive way he could've gone. Personally, I 'd have taken a Softail Custom and put the bling on that. At least going that route would save a few thousand due to a lot of the stuff is already chrome.

You're right.
Pretty pointless in the way he did it, but...
We all like our bikes and adding a little something to make them unique to our style is what makes it YOURS instead of Triumphs.
Sure they all start out about the same, windshield here, running boards there, bags or not, but pretty much the same machine.
It's the individual tastes, vision and how you bring it together that makes it part of you.
Just my 2 cents.

I have a black and white R3T with 150 leds and custom decals on the saddle bags as well as almost ever bit of chrome and accessories triumph makes for it the bad part now is that I am lost at what to do next.

I have a black and white R3T with 150 leds and custom decals on the saddle bags as well as almost ever bit of chrome and accessories triumph makes for it the bad part now is that I am lost at what to do next.

I did the same thing to 2 gold wings and a Suzuki 1500, Once I had it just them way I wanted em I got bored with it. You will probably ride it a while and buy another to start all over again. They are more a work of art, getting them to where we think they should have been off the showroom floor. Once you tire of riding it you'll probably end up selling it. The final stage is kicking your own ars for selling such a perfect machine. Been there, done that, 3 times now. It's part of my comitment to remain poor.:kick:

Gunshots - Thats one hell of a commitment. I admire that. Its not easy todo for any length of time!!!!

Daryl - Its simple. I call it MMTB. More Money Than Brains.

Im the same way as you i guess. I prefer to maximize my return without breaking the bank. I dont mind paying for something that has quality and will last. But I dont enjoying throwing money down the drain either. Ill bling the ride slowly, trying to give thought to where I want it to go.
Im sure Ill buy something and probably not like it , but that will be few and far between. Im sure I will live with some decisions I made about accessories even though I dont like it just because I dont want to spend more money. I already bought the **** bike I wanna ride. Ill worry about bling as I go but in moderation. Family life dictates alot of that. Just my .02

mutt

you can always do what I did.
Go on ebay and buy alot of extra tins and parts and work on them without destroying your bike.
If you like the way its turning out, keep it, if not, oh well.
I can swap the color of my bike pretty quick (grey). I know you were wondering.
It can either be a street fighter solo ride, or a bagger probably quicker. Depends on my mood.

Most of my bling has been for comfort. It's something you don't realize until you've put some miles on the bike. The passenger's seat was lacking,and no passenger floor boards. Also, I didn't like the look or the $800 price of Triumphs leather saddle bags, so those where among the first upgrades, along with crash bars for tip over protection and highpegs for long distance comfort. Then came the new handle bar risers for shorter reach. To be honest, I like how my bike looked the most when it came off the floor and had nothing on it, just wasn't comfortable for long distance that way. I'll have to admit that the license relocation bracket and the turnsignal mods fall under the" make it your own" catagorie, except that the turn signals are much brighter and can also be seen from the side, making them a "safety" upgrade, along with the Stebel horn that I'm installing today, or at least that's how I got it past the CFO (wife).

Back