bike dying and bad missfire

ken

.020 Over
Ride
rocket 3 classic 2008
Hi all
My classic had just started misfiring and trying to stop running every now and again.
I am able to ride through it and then all is well, seems electrical as main beam light on dash goes on at the same time and indicators don't work. got error codes po560 ecm power supply circuit malfunction
and p1552 cooling fan open or short circuit any ideas thanks in advance

Sounds like a bad connection. I would start pulling apart connectors, clean with contact cleaner, and apply dialectric grease. I would start with the connection to the ecu, but I'm sure one of the electrical wizards will be along shortly with an opinion

thanks problem at the moment bike is fine if it did not run its far easier to find the fault.

Do you know if an Eastern Beaver or DeCosse system has been installed on the bike to take the headlight load off the ignition switch ? If not, that's where I would start. The earlier Rockets were known to to melt the solder joint where the main power wire connects to the bottom of the ignition switch. It's a little tricky to remove because it has tamper proof screws. If it hasn't damaged it much, you can just re- solder it. Then, look into getting one of the systems I mentioned to keep it from happening again. Try running the engine and turning the handlebars to the stops in both directions to see if you can replicate the problem. If that path takes you nowhere, hollar back and get one of the smart guys to help ya :D

it has an eastern beaver and led headlights but could still be the switch i will check. I have managed to emulate the problem its ok on tickover but take it to 3000 rpm and it starts backfiring and trying to die no codes ome up though since i cleared them

it has an eastern beaver and led headlights but could still be the switch i will check. I have managed to emulate the problem its ok on tickover but take it to 3000 rpm and it starts backfiring and trying to die no codes ome up though since i cleared them

Other things to check would be the plug under the tank where the ignition switch plugs onto the harness. Also look for melted connections on the fuse block.

Id start with the battery connection first, then work from there. Just because its throwing a code doesnt necessarily mean thats the fault. Could just be a symptom.
i agree battery checked and ok

this also happened a week ago it played up and stalled. started up again no problem gave the ignition a squirt of wd40 and was fine rest of the day. don't figure

Back