Bike dead again.

Punker

.040 Over
Ride
Trimph Rocket 3 Classic
My bike died just before Easter. Ignition dead but the horn and indicators worked and battery was full. Had it picked up and taken back to the dealer. They couldn't find any fault with it when they looked and they said the ignition mod has already been done on the bike. I collected the bike and rode the 45 miles home no problem. I rode it to work last week and twice it cut out on me and at the same time the fuel light came on briefly but it started straight away each time. I went to get some petrol today ready for a ride out with friends and the bike is dead again with the same problem. Horn and indicators only working. I only bought the bike last October and have not even done 600 miles on it yet. I've come to the conclusion that I've bought a pig and I just want to sell it now and get something reliable. It's going back into the dealers on Tuesday. It's still under warranty but I've lost faith in it. I'm off to North Wales on it on the spring bank holiday in 3 weeks time for 5 days but that's in doubt now.

sure sounds like a bad igniton switch to me. I am not sure what they mean by ignition mod but if its the one in the update kit its just a plug change which does not take care of the load on the ignition switch. My bet is the white wire in the switch is loose because the solder melted from the overload on them. there are a few things can fix that. Add the Eastern Beaver relay for the head lights and take the ignition apart and fix the solder joints inside or replace it. Or do the EB kit and go keyless.

Warp9.9 nailed it. The reason the horn etc work is that they are on a different circuit.

Had a thicker main wire fitted to my ignition before I collected it at purchase .. never had a problem with ignition since .. 2009 , 125,000 klms ago.
Jeez Punker you give up easy .. a minor problem and you're ready to ditch the bike :thumbsdown:

As stated above a few times and as I stated in post no 4 in your first thread on this subject, your ignition switch is burning out and likely the white wire is coming unsoldered (if it hasn't already). The cure is to fix or replace the switch and then add the headlight relays for a permanent fix. Failure to to add the relays will only delay the inevitable recurrence. The problem is that the power for everything includung the two headlights go through the ignition switch which overheats afer a time as the contacts wear and burn. The fix the dealer is talking about is where the plug in the main harness is replaced because it was burning out on the early bikes due to the same problem. Try turning on the ignition and moving the bars from side to side or wiggling the harness going into the headlight. this might make contact temporarily.HTH
P.S. a bonus with this fix is brighter headlights.

I agree with ALL of the Above for the sake of the cost of the relay kit you could have fitted the first time we told you, You are now going thru the same sh!t again

Punker, How old is your bike? Your avatar shows an older silver motor bike and "Rides Description" States that you have a classic.
I would definitely upgrade to the Eastern Beaver if I were you, I have a 2010 Roadster and am upgrading my headlight wiring even though mine has had the factory recall upgrade.

My bike had already gone into the dealers before I could try moving the handlebars the last time it didn't start but I did try it this morning and it worked. Thanks for your help guys, this is what makes this site so good. I will give all this info to the dealers tomorrow.

TC. I know what you are saying but I paid a hell of a lot of money for a bike that I've wanted ever since I laid eyes on it years ago. To have 4 faults that stop you riding within 6 months of buying it makes you wonder how long will it go on for. It's like finding the women of your dreams only to find out she has a pair of balls between her legs when you shag her for the first time. Anyway that comment was a heat if the moment thing and my bike aint going nowhere.

My bike was registered in 2009 but the engine number is from 2007 Mittzy. Apparently this model was built for America but they didn't go because of the recession so they were sold in the UK. One of the guys told me that the paint job was a limited edition but if that's incorrect then I'm sure you guys will correct me. Thanks once again, you've made me a very happy man again. You guys rock.

Back