Big bike, cramped riding position, need info

Markx

.020 Over
Ride
2013 Rocket Roadster, 2005 Yamaha FZ1
For a big bike the Roadster feels very cramped on long rides. I am long legged and I end up sitting on the upswept portion of the seat. Something has got to give. It seems a peg forward kit is not being considered by Triumph. Maybe an aftermarket seat would help. Called Triumph tech help desk and the guy said he never heard that this was an issue some people were having, was a jerk. Test drove a Standard and bought a new Roadster so it is on me, if it doesn't feel perfect from the start then what ever bothers you about the fit tends to magnify over time in my experience.

Does the Triumph touring seat move you back any, need back and up for leg room? Does Corbin? Who else is out there? Can I buy rails and everything to move the foot position forward. Maybe Touring model rails and boards even though I prefer pegs.

All this has likely been addressed before but maybe there is new information out there. BTW, riding the twisty roads here in the southern Appalachians this motor is amazing, powering out of the tight curves and switchbacks is a blast, I don't want to trade her.

For a big bike the Roadster feels very cramped on long rides. I am long legged and I end up sitting on the upswept portion of the seat. Something has got to give. It seems a peg forward kit is not being considered by Triumph. Maybe an aftermarket seat would help. Called Triumph tech help desk and the guy said he never heard that this was an issue some people were having, was a jerk. Test drove a Standard and bought a new Roadster so it is on me, if it doesn't feel perfect from the start then what ever bothers you about the fit tends to magnify over time in my experience.

Does the Triumph touring seat move you back any, need back and up for leg room? Does Corbin? Who else is out there? Can I buy rails and everything to move the foot position forward. Maybe Touring model rails and boards even though I prefer pegs.

All this has likely been addressed before but maybe there is new information out there. BTW, riding the twisty roads here in the southern Appalachians this motor is amazing, powering out of the tight curves and switchbacks is a blast, I don't want to trade her.

I just put a new Corbin Fast Gun seat. I think it actually made it worse for me. I am 6'1" tall and know what you mean by feeling cramped. I think its mostly a mental thing for me though. I'm not used to sitting in this upright and legs at a 90 degree bend when riding. If I ever get a welder again I plan on making some forward pegs and probably moving my foot controls forward a bit. I agree with you though it is a cramped feel for us bigger guys.

There are some threads on here about putting on floorboards and/or peg relocation for the roadster. Including some recent ones. I'd say that's the direction you need to go. Doesn't really matter what the seat does if your legs are bound up under you?

I bypassed the 6' gene so my son could take full advantage of it so I can't really compare, but the fast gun and the Corbin dual both sit me back plenty and the highway pegs make for a complete couch experience ;)

And yes, the power makes us forget all our other minor complaints ;)

There are some threads on here about putting on floorboards and/or peg relocation for the roadster. Including some recent ones. I'd say that's the direction you need to go. Doesn't really matter what the seat does if your legs are bound up under you?

I bypassed the 6' gene so my son could take full advantage of it so I can't really compare, but the fast gun and the Corbin dual both sit me back plenty and the highway pegs make for a complete couch experience ;)

And yes, the power makes us forget all our other minor complaints ;)

Ya I don't complain about my bike... I use the instant torque and speed to comb my hair every morning......

Some people just mount highway pegs forward on the rails for cruising. I believe the gold wing ones were what @ROCKETHEAD used on his.

RocketHead1.jpg
RocketHead2.jpg

Also as stated People have adapted the Floor board kit's to the roadster I suspect the standard Pegs will adapt fine also. You should find a older Rocket and sit on it to feel the differences in peg placement.

Last edited:
Called Triumph tech help desk and the guy said he never heard that this was an issue some people were having, was a jerk.

Unbelievable. If I didn't love my R3 so much I certainly wouldn't be a promoter of Triumph. Their sales and support is terrible and the fact they don't have a factory forward peg option here is a huge oversight IMO.

Unfortunately, the only pre-fabbed retail solution I know of is this very expensive one from Motorrad Burchard GmbH. Ridiculously priced at bout $1,500 USD after you have it shipped form across seas. If you have a money tree in your backyard it's a nice option.

mb01-7300l_gr.jpg

mb01-7300r_gr.jpg

Warp 9.9 makes a good suggestion above also. If you like the look of the engine guards or crash bars you can add some highway pegs to those too. That's what I've got now.

The only other real option is to buy a set of rails with the pegs for a pre-Roadster R3 and powder coat them black if you don't like the chrome. If you can find one for a classic R3 the pegs are supposed to be a bit more forward on those. After buying these (they're on eBay all the time) you can have them modified to have the pegs even more forward as demonstrated in this thread: http://www.r3owners.net/threads/forward-controls.6948/

This is what I'm contemplating doing. You will need a modified brake line and shifter rod.

You could also just have the Motorrad Burchard GmbH set I posted above fabbed up somewhere for probably less than half the cost. If I knew how to weld I would be making these and selling them here on this forum.

Some people just mount highway pegs forward on the rails for cruising. I believe the gold wing ones were what @ROCKETHEAD used on his.

+1 for the mid controls + highway pegs combo. I like the better control the mid controls offer in the twisties, but the highway pegs allow you to stretch your legs on the open road. I have the same Rivco peg mounts on my '11 Roadster:

pegs.jpg

Hey @Markx, if you don't have/want front dresser bars, I've got a pair of mounting brackets and Kuryakyn highway pegs that bolt in where the dresser bars would go. I picked them up used a while back off Craigslist here, and decided I didn't want them. Let me know if you're interested and I'll take some photos tonight.

Last edited:
Back