Bevel box oil change

laraza

Turbocharged
Ride
09 R3 Classic
Just to get this right as there seems to have been a few snapped bolts.

Drain plug tighten to 15nm and filler plug to 60nm as per the manual?

Just to get this right as there seems to have been a few snapped bolts.

Drain plug tighten to 15nm and filler plug to 60nm as per the manual?
Yes that is correct, although I'll admit I have backed off to 45nm on the fill plug. The real important one to watch is the drain plug. People don't realize how weak it is since it was drilled out and a magnet inserted to collect metal debris.

Last edited by a moderator:
Yes that is correct, although I'll admit I have backed off to 45nm on the fill plug. The real important one to watch is the drain plug. People don't realize how weak it is since it was driol out and a magnet inserted to collect metal debris.

Thanks for that, think I'll torque the filler to 45/50nm just to be safe

Thanks for that, think I'll torque the filler to 45/50nm just to be safe
I used to torque the filler to full specs never had a problem just felt it was a little to much. I also change mine at least every other oil change. Not because it needs it but because its takes to long to go thry a quart of the oil and well definitely used to do it everytime 4went to grease the rear drive shaft splines. I do not do that as much anymore because I've noticed the particular Molykote I use stays in place and doesnt seem to dry out. So I figure a longer time span test is needed.

I used to torque the filler to full specs never had a problem just felt it was a little to much. I also change mine at least every other oil change. Not because it needs it but because its takes to long to go thry a quart of the oil and well definitely used to do it everytime 4went to grease the rear drive shaft splines. I do not do that as much anymore because I've noticed the particular Molykote I use stays in place and doesnt seem to dry out. So I figure a longer time span test is needed.

What Moly are you using? Trying to find any 60% MoS2 grease in UK is really difficult

Molykote g-n assembly paste. Only wear it says thin kote I even put a table spoon in the bottom of the spline cup. Inside is a wee messy but well lubricated :) used it on the Tomcats found it even better in the Rock Quarry on Cat's and various crusher equipment. So figer good enough for Warp Aerospace :D
safety note : not responsible for injuries occurred if you whipe it on your jeans and they coat the washing machine destroying your wife dress whites :( 36 years of marriage and yep I still hear about it every now and then. :(

Last edited:
After several final drive gear oil changes my stock bolt broke. Yes very weak. I installed a regular bolt that is not magnetic. Since then I change this gear oil every spring or with each oil change. It only takes about 6 oz. of gear oil so what the heck.

Are you suggesting the oil change every 5k with new filter every other change? How about dropping the pan and check the screens. Mine has never had that service done.

Are you suggesting the oil change every 5k with new filter every other change? How about dropping the pan and check the screens. Mine has never had that service done.
Rick were talking about the final drive bevel box . All I was saying is its so easy I change it more often the triumph says. Here is a easy why. You buy a 05 rocket with oh say 7000 miles. The darn bevel box oil aint been changed yet. Now let say you bought the 05 in 05. You now have been tripping over about 2/3's of a quart of oil for 14 years. Why is it that hard to change it more often since you pulling the bugger to grease it which triumph says you only do that except when you are replacing it. Thats kind off like saying no matter what consistancy you have there is no need to whipe your arse more then once :D and now for a new test ride :)
20190520_155923.jpg

20190520_155915.jpg

Back