Best Way To Stop Brake Squeal?

dobro

Supercharged
Ride
2011 R3T
My 2011 R3T's front brake functions well but squeals loudly. I had the pad replaced a few months ago then later had the brake re-checked and cleaned but it still squeals. What's the most likely cause? Thanks.

Pad vibration inside the caliper. When installing brakes if you use copper based grease on the back side of the pad it will prevent the squeal.

Common problem for all vehicles when pads are installed dry. Mine for example squeals from the back since the day I bought it, doesn't bother me though.

Mine sounded like a garbage truck when I got it. It had what I presumed to be the stock front pads. Tried de-glazing pads and rotors, tried the stick on composite things that go between the pad and the piston. No joy. Bought EBC "HH" sintered pads. Stops WAY better and no squealing !

:sneaky:Put Oil on It!! :rolleyes::eek:....... Just kidding please do not put oil on your brakes but you might try scuffing the disks and pads with some emery cloth or coarse wet and dry as the disks will be smooth from previous pads and will possibly have glazed the new ones, I recommend the EBC HH Sintered pads as they give better performance and bite and have never had them squeal on me as yet, in fact I just put a set in before my recent RDU trip and they were fantastic:thumbsup:

EDIT bloody Hell Fred will you stop read my mind and beating to the post n... guess I will have learn to type faster

I love the HH on my tona but they have some tendencies, mainly getting crazy gripy with insane bite when they get hot. Works great on the tona just not sure I would want that much bite on the rocket. I will switch to them when pads are needed though.

Also they never squeal, and the best part about them IMO is reduced dust compared to OEM pads with much better wet braking power.

Thing about the HH pads I didn't care for but doesn't stop me from using them is this:

When coming down from 150+ on the tona the first 1 or 2 seconds feel like stock brakes, then once the pads get hot they develop a tremendous amount more bite and I have to reduce lever pressure significantly, it leads to a scenario where you have to be very alert when emergency beak ng or risk locking up the front. On the R3R I can cheat and lean on abs, it is a strange feeling though when they get up to full temp. Crazy strong braking if I keep heat in the pads by riding hard on the tona.

Still think they a big step up over stock pads!

simple...stop using them..:eek:..or you might try de glazing the rotors a bit..you can deglaze pads too if they're still in spec..just some scuff pads and some fine cut sand paper..

Back