Best Performance Air Filters

Dyna494

.040 Over
Assuming I fit an aftermarket exhaust that removes the cats, which type of filter provides the best performance.

A replacement K&N that drops in the air box like the first photo or Tripple K&N's like the second photo?

Attachments

• 7ab4_2.jpg
    7ab4_2.jpg
    6.6 KB · Views: 100
  • 687976-R1-050-23A_025.jpg
    687976-R1-050-23A_025.jpg
    209.6 KB · Views: 225
Last edited:
Tough Question

Like Skip says, between those two choices alone, the trip K&Ns are the way to go. But I've been running a Jardine exhaust with the stock underseat breather and a Tuneboy tune designed for that setup and I'm very happy. Look at some posts on this site and you'll find a lot of info on the trip K&N setup, including it's difficult to get the Bearclaw back over the K&Ns and you get a lot more intake noise with the trip K&N setup (which is the main reason I haven't done it yet). No doubt it'll breathe better, and with the right tune will up your power, but as always, there seems to be a tradeoff.

I have used the drop-in, single K&N unit during 25'000 miles (with aftermarket pipes and the TOR-compatible tune) on my (now sold) Rocket. I liked the crispier throttle response and the throatier intake noise it provided, although both "plusses" might have been somewhat subjective. But it's a good filter, in any case.

I have also experimented laterally-mounted, triple K&N filers. In and by themselves, they added 18 ponies (dyno-tested) to my n/a, tuned (cams and pistons) Rocket engine, which I found nothing short of incredible:eek:.

However, they produced an unbearable (to me, let alone to the neighbourhood) intake racket, they caused the bike to starve for fuel as from 4-5'000 rpm's and, bottom line, I never found a way to re-tune the bike to cope with them, TuneBoy, PowerCommander AND professional help notwithstanding:eek:.

That's when I called it a day.

Good luck. Jamie:cool:

Last edited:
I think that the underseat K&N is sufficient for most Captains as we feel more than satisfied with the punch this motor provides in its near-stock form. For those speed and power junkies who desire a higher "warp factor", the trip filters and removal of the TPS secondaries are relatively cheap and easy mods which add appreciably to the Rock's h.p. and torque numbers.

I wasted my money on a drop in K&N as soon as I got it home. Don't bother with one, if noise is an issue there is an undertank setup that has got to breathe better than the stock twists and turns of the tubing down to the airbox. I sold my drop in and went with the triples, red covers and trimmed the bearclaw to expose them a little. The noise is noticable, but if you change the exhaust (TOR's or louder) you hardly notice it after awhile.

The single K&N on the end of the blower gives about the best perfomance change Ive seen and you don't hear the valve noise, just a whistle:D

I think that whistling noise may be coming from the distant drone of sirens attempting to catch you!:D

Ok Hellfire, You are saying that since I have the Jardines that are plenty loud, that the additional noise is not that noticable? And like Jamie stated that he wasn't able to get the A/F right after he install the triples.
I have just ordered a Dynojet and I am thinking of getting the triple K&N's to go with it. But after hearing Jamies problems, I am having second thoughts now.

Back