Being your Brother's keeper

Boog

Traveling Story Teller
Ride
2014 R3T, RAMAIR, Full Viking Dual exhaust
I want you all to know that I have many times been lifted because of you. Being a part of this group of people from all around this big blue ball has personally made my life better. You probably didn't mean to do it, but you did none-the-less.

I have been told that I have lifted others at times and that makes my soul smile. So bare with me a moment while I tell another story; the story of Brother Ed.

I have a buddy I met through Pretty Pillion. One of her workmates is married to a retired Marine Sniper, Ed. I have mentioned Ed before and shown a picture of his new CVO Roadglide when he and I went on his inaugural ride this last fall. Pretty Pillion and I rode out on another ride with Ed just before winter set in. Basically, his first 400 Miles was with me. (His first drop was too). Today, we got his bike up to 1,100 miles, that's over the eight months he's had it.

We went out early this morning with the temp a few degrees above freezing. He had mentioned he bought some new cold weather gear (like mine) and wanted to try it out. We met and rode to breakfast about 45 minutes away. We talked along the way with our Sena headsets connected. We talked at breakfast. We talked on the way to our first gas stop and then on to our lunch about 150 Miles from home. We talk over lunch and on to our next gas stop before finally parting ways for the day.

On previous rides, he has commented on something I wear or have said and then goes out and buys it for himself. He wife has even asked Hazel what she thinks about certain riding gear and has bought some for him.

We have met up to place wreaths at the local National Cemetery and then again to pick them up later, and usually go to eat with our girls. He is becoming a good friend for sure.

Now then to my point of this thread; I'm a slow guy at times when it comes to understanding some things, but it hit me hard between the eyes today while out riding that this brother needs someone in his life. He won't say that, but things his wife has told Pretty Pillion and just being around him off and on now for about a year lends me to think that. He no longer has his Marine brothers around and his family is far away in the Dominican Republic. Our talks have gone from happy things like nature and motorcycles all the way to the other side of life.

He was very interested in my swim to bring more awareness to suicide prevention. And that's when I got the idea he needed to know people are still out here who care about such things.

I encourage you all to pay attention to the people in our lives, especially the quite ones. Ed has appears to be in control of his life and things are going well for him. That's what I thought about my Marine buddies Roger (R3R brother I met when I bought Brahma) and Mike, (first guy I rode with when I got a bike here in Virginia); both took there lives later.

We are our brother's keeper in one way or another. Be there when the time comes to listen and talk and ride...
3.7.2020.jpg

Thanks for the post and the reminder. By the way, I think Brahama has a bit of a leak...trying mark its territory while in the presence of the CVO :p

Amen brother. Ask yourself(not personal to Boog but to all) who am I treating nice? What am I giving to a friend? To those who are blessed much is asked.

I too have been helped by many members on this site.

Great share. And it shows how valuable a good listener is. My Gramps (WWII vet) suffered from PTSD before anyone really knew what it was. He would take me along for very long rides and share war stories and tell me of the friends he lost....since I was just a kid at this point all I did was listen. Which is what he needed at that moment.

My own service has shown me that after the bullets stop coming, and your homies aren’t there it can be overwhelming for many to cope. I know this experience is shared by Law Enforcement, first responders, etc.

Sometimes people just need someone to care!

Thanks again for sharing, and being a good homie!

...yep....everyone, at one time or another needs a laugh, encouragement, to shed a wee tear...a pat on the back...a pat on the head...a kick in the arse...a manhug, from friends.
They say the world is full of friends we havnt met yet and i reckon most of them are on this forum!

Back