Becker-Technik Rocket 3 stand

cr0ft

Living Legend
Ride
Triumph Rocket III Touring 2010
My new stand arrived in the mail today, and I thought I'd share. This is a direct competitor for the Flipmeister stand, done slightly differently and arguably better.

This is not to diss the Flipmeister model, it's been around a while now and people apparently love it, it's still a great choice for Americans especially (shipping abroad is brutal on anything this heavy).

Anyway, the stand has castors on it which means that instead of having to lift and move the entire bike onto the stand, the stand kind of rolls in under the bike as you lift, much less effort and far smaller breaker bar required and with this one you can stand next to the bike and hold it up while you lift with the leg, like a traditional centerstand.

With the extra castors I got for it you can apparently roll the bike back and forth while on the stand, so far haven't had a chance to test the stand at all but four castors should also eliminate any chance of floor damage when using it.

Anyway, without much further ado, pictures.

The site for the manufacturer is http://www.becker-technik.de/ and a direct link into it for the stand is http://www.becker-technik.de/Rocket...r_englisch/body_rocket_3_lifter_englisch.html

I'm feeling really good about the purchase, the castors look kind of dainty in the pictures but they're a few inches across and everything is super sturdy. Not sure they'll ship all the way to the US though, but what do I know. :)

Do like it, nice find Croft. Interesting international option for those outside the US to the Flipmeister.

Warp Aerospace model no chance of messing up the floor plus you can slide her up to the basement wall when leaving the bike in the basement for a while as you tend to the misses request so she does not get to fussy :D

2011_0903_202705.JPG

ALso works well for just tire changes or lubricating the drive shaft splines. when your done you just spin the bike around while its in the air so you can ride her right out of the house :)

Well, as a follow up a little while later - the stand is excellent once it's on the bike, and lifting the bike with it isn't hard at all - just put the handle in place, put the tip of your sneaker on the handle, push the bike upright and step firmly but gently and the bike comes up and is rock solid.

That said, with some more experience with the stand I'm not entirely enthused about the design anymore, specifically that the tightening screw to keep it from sliding open is right under the bike. Way too much crawling around on the floor to get my arm in there to tighten and loosen it.

And putting it on is also a bit of an annoyance, as it slides off the mounting hole on the bike on the left as you try to compress it from the right. Solvable with a solid weight leaning against it on the left side while you push in the right side, but still.

I guess the ideal would be a mix between this and the Flipmeister - retain the castors and the approach to how the lever works, but make it in one piece and use loose bolts to fix it to the mounting holes and thus the bike.

But even so, an ideal winter stand - fully mechanical, very little that can go wrong.

I'll probably subsist on water and porridge for a month and spring for a serious hydraulic lifter too that can be easily slid under the bike and then pumped up so the bike comes to a more comfortable height to do work and is easily movable around the garage, but for 100€ this is a solid solution and I'd still recommend it.

That said, with some more experience with the stand I'm not entirely enthused about the design anymore , specifically that the tightening screw to keep it from sliding open is right under the bike. Way too much crawling around on the floor to get my arm in there to tighten and loosen it.
Next time you put it on - REALLY tighten that screw. Then take the stand off - pull it apart and drill a hole where the screw has marked the metal. From then on you simply screw the knob in until it's through the hole. No more tightening required - If anything it's also safer as it wont un-tighten with abuse. I did the same in fully closed to make transporting easier.

The Left - right thing - Use a bungee.;) - Put left side in - PULL on right and let the bungee tension seat the pin in the right hand hole.

Oh btw - DO NOT sit on the bike whilst on the stand. The pins can bend a bit.

One of these days I must make some Metal castors too.

Warp Aerospace model no chance of messing up the floor plus you can slide her up to the basement wall when leaving the bike in the basement for a while as you tend to the misses request so she does not get to fussy :D ALso works well for just tire changes or lubricating the drive shaft splines. when your done you just spin the bike around while its in the air so you can ride her right out of the house :)
Scott - what do you use twixt lift and sump? I have trouble keeping it level and stable.

Back