Bearclaw doesn't want to "snap" on to tank

Willtill

Nitrous
I have found an issue with the Bearclaw on my 2008 Rocket 3 Classic, hope I can get some help;

The bearclaw is attached with two bolts; one in the front and one in the rear of it. However, it also is supposed be attached in the middle with a "location clip" pn 5571120-001 which is supposed to snap on to the metal tab that sticks down from the tank.

When I lift the bearclaw up to position and push the rubber "location connector" on to the metal tank tab, it doesn't stay "clipped". Just comes right back off.

Is there a metal insert or something that goes inside of this rubber "location connector" that helps it snap and hold onto the metal tab in the middle of the tank? It's driving me crazy trying to figure it out.

Kindest Regards,

-Will

Just hold the bearclaw in place while you start the two bolts by hand. The connector you are talking about will not hold it in place without the bolts being in. Hope this makes sense.

I've always had the same problem. Seems to be built in.

I have to hold the rubber central connector thing in place with some force, keep holding it whilst I then line up and tighten the front & back bolts. One crappy design.

This is driving me crazy still. I need to "bump" this back up for another fresh prospective;

When I first got my Rocket, and undid the front and rear bearclaw bolts; it took a pretty good amount of force to pull the bearclaw off of the two tabs that jut out from the upper left side of the tank. I didn't bother looking at that time; but each of the two tabs have a hole in them. Almost like there's a clip or something that is now missing from it.

I understand how the bearclaw connector mates to the two tabs coming from off the tank. By design, it appears to be a "friction fit" however when the two tabs insert into the receiving connector on the bearclaw; there's *nothing* there anymore that holds the two connectors together, via friction.

Someone please take a closer look at their bearclaw the next time you have it removed and tell me if there is an additional piece that's supposed to go on the two tabs, before it slides into the receiving connector on the bear claw itself. It would appear that if one took two small bearing's or BB's, and superglued it to the outer side of each tab coming from off the tank; it would provide the needed friction fit as the tabs insert into the recieving connector on the bearclaw.

You all are following/understanding what I'm trying to describe, right?

Kindest regards,

-Will

Why don't you take a picture of your BC and post it?

I hate taking mine off, if I see yours, I (we) could tell you if you're missing something.

xhdskip said:
You could do it like I did mine and just eliminate the problem piece.

Lol! :lol: That may come some day...... :D

However, I still want to see if I'm missing a clip or something. I took some pictures. The first one is of the two tabs, that the Bearclaw attaches to. As you can see, there are holes in the tabs. Is there something missing, like a clip (which clamps over the holes)?

The second picture below is of the connector on the Bearclaw itself; the tabs on the fuel tank slip into the rubber "slots" on the connector. There's just too much "space" in these slots when the tabs slide in; so I am wondering if there are additional clips involved that have fallen off (the bike was taken to a dealer for the initial service) and I asked them to check a couple of things as well that may have involved Bearclaw removal. The whole thing is rubber, so bending the slots to be narrower/tighter won't work:

So...... how do your Bearclaws (for those of you whom haven't mutilated them yet :wink: ) look as far as attaching them to the bike, with these tabs and such?

I know this is minor, but it's annoying the hell out of me.

Kindest regards,

-Will

Back