Bearclaw cut revisited

Binnsy

Supercharged
Started cutting the bearclaw. I have the K&N 4 inch base x 3 inch top tapered pods, so a bit different to what most get.

Had them on a few weeks before I was brave enough to start cutting.

These are the first cuts so fairly rough at the moment. I will chip away at them until I achieve something I am happy with.

Over to you lot for a critique...

Binnsy

Attachments

• IMG_0421.jpg
    IMG_0421.jpg
    205.2 KB · Views: 380
How's that rear cut going to affect your leg? I don't know about yours, but that is right where my leg hits the side of the tank (bearclaw). I hope you don't have a problem with rubbing on either the filter or a sharp edge of the claw.

How's that rear cut going to affect your leg? I don't know about yours, but that is right where my leg hits the side of the tank (bearclaw). I hope you don't have a problem with rubbing on either the filter or a sharp edge of the claw.

Yeah to both.. I plan to trim the cut edge with that plastic stuff tomorrow, going to Autobarn to see what they have.:confused:

As for the leg, at first it was an issue as it is where my leg was... operative word is "was" here. Now I ride like a Harley rider...Ha Ha ...:D

Hey Binnsy, I like the look, although maybe I'd have left the rear cut more like the other 2. It's actually the type of cut I was thinking about trying myself but had no idea about the shape I wanted. I have the RU2780s so don't really need to cut at all but like the idea of being able to see them without changing the overall lines of the bearclaw too much. I haven't abandoned the idea of cutting the bottom away either (a la HellFire or Evil Mitch) and I've ordered some prefilters too so don't need to worry so much about rain; just asthetics (and comfort). What are you cutting with and is the chrome holding up at the cut?

Hey Binnsy, I like the look, although maybe I'd have left the rear cut more like the other 2. It's actually the type of cut I was thinking about trying myself but had no idea about the shape I wanted. I have the RU2780s so don't really need to cut at all but like the idea of being able to see them without changing the overall lines of the bearclaw too much. I haven't abandoned the idea of cutting the bottom away either (a la HellFire or Evil Mitch) and I've ordered some prefilters too so don't need to worry so much about rain; just asthetics (and comfort). What are you cutting with and is the chrome holding up at the cut?

Made a hole with the Dremel then used Wiss snips, finished with half round file. More cutting to go and the plan at the moment is to have them gradually reduce in size to the front.
Chrome is good, no flaking or chipping at all !

Thanks for your reply,

regarding the feeling with those 3 K&N, any change?

Yes, firstly the bike is much noisier, a lot of induction noise which surprised me. Kinda like it though ;)

Then I went for a test ride on "the track" no noticeable difference on the way up but at the top end she was still pulling where she normally gives up? I went past my mate on his HD at 180 kph and dropped it into top gear. He said later he near **** himself as I screamed past ...:D

Back