eLLWOODgLEN

.020 Over
Ride
2016 Rocket Roadster
Long story short, I wanna give the bike a solid foundation line from tank through the seat. (Think cafe racer)

I’m looking into the idea of relocating the battery and removing the air box then using that area under the seat for a fuel tank. Overfill the tank past the sub frame to raise the seat about 4 inches (up to a cafe racer foundation line)

Make a smaller style tank with filler neck that drains to beneath the seat.

My idea is to keep the larger tank for mileage while getting that more aesthetically pleasing style as below without cutting the frame at all.

My goal is the factory styled version of the below cafe. So not as custom looking but similar.
0D2510BB-6E62-4F61-A97E-33D252D1A349.jpeg

Think on the effects of HEAT. The Battery would need to be well isolated - but not insulated as it too gets hot at times. Think Lithium.

I would either make one using industry standard cells or have somebody like i-tecc make one to spec'.

Best would be A123 ANR26650m1B based. But if you need self R&D facilities then headway make some bolt-together cells.

@barbagris has a good point on making a new one to spec. Just because most motorcycle batteries are a rectangle cube doesn't mean they have to be for your application. Think longer and flat brother and place it under the seat.

LFX36L3-BS12 - only 3.4" deep (but think height with it on its rear face)

Per your picture, think about utilizing the hump for the battery space
Recognize you are also going to have to accommodate the ECU, Regulator, 5 relays & fuse panel under the seat area
Do you have ABS too I imagine?

Last edited:
As I mull over this idea, I think I may just have to deal with a redesigned tank with a bit less capacity. And the airbox will become a glove box.

On Shorai's website when you fill in vehicle finder info it says "DO NOT USE SHORAI FOR THIS APPLICATION" and DO not use lfx batteries in this vehicle. Wondering why this is ?

LFX36L3-BS12 - only 3.4" deep (but think height with it on its rear face)

On Shorai's website when you fill in vehicle finder info it says "DO NOT USE SHORAI FOR THIS APPLICATION" and DO not use lfx batteries in this vehicle. Wondering why this is ?

Probably because they're sh1t. I had one of those LFX36L3-BS12 and it struggled to start the Rocket.

Back