Batch of Custom Handlebars

Claviger

Aspiring Student
Ride
'21 Z H2, '14 R3R, '02 Daytona 955i
I am going forward with my Thunderbars inspired handlebars. I am doing a few things differently and was wondering if anyone else is interested in a set. I don't have prices yet, and won't, until after my set is made. This will be done at NO profit to me, 100% transparent on expenses. I am only offering this as an initial feeler for others to gauge interest because I happen to live near facilities that can do all the work.

The idea is design similar to the 1.5" Tbars, but with a little (1-2") more pull-back towards you, a little bit narrower, and with a plate built in that will mount the gauges above the bars instead of below, giving you vastly more ability to adjust the height of the bars. This also makes any 1" bar clamp an option and frees you of the giant piece Triumph uses. Powdercoating is an option for me here locally pretty easily, or, they could be sent out raw to be polished by the buyer.

OH

And they'll be 6063 aluminum, 0.25" wall thickness so quite strong, and about 1/3 the weight of the steel version.

I'll add drawings here of the concept and eventually, the finished product once I have my set done. If your interested in a set, please let me know below so I can do some material cost estimates, as always the more material the less it costs per unit so yeah.

Quickly roughed out initial costs are:
~ $95.00 for raw materials
~ $170.00 for the welding/bending work
~ $50-100 for powerdcoating

Rob you forgot to mention, being Alloy they will also dampen Vibration to a certain extent but more than steel bars can, if I still had my R3 I would definitely be interested, I always switched my dirt bike bars to alloy because it just felt better at the end of a day without all the buzzing dirtbike gave you

Didn't even know that actually lol, awesome!

For the threaded bar end portion, I'm going to have a alu dowel welded in, drill it, and install a helicoil vwala stock equipment will work :)

Didn't even know that actually lol, awesome!

For the threaded bar end portion, I'm going to have a alu dowel welded in, drill it, and install a helicoil vwala stock equipment will work :)
count me as interested..

After doing some research, the original materials I had intended on using will not work (66061-T6). I've put in a few inquiries about custom sized materials (6061-T4).

In the interim, I did some looking for alternatives to aluminum. As it would turn out, if built from 4130 A519 chromoly, the weight will end up basically identical to Aluminum because wall thickness can be much lower and still maintain high strength. It's also about 1/2 the price of the 6061-T6 I've found, but I need T4, not T6 so not sure how the lower temper will change the material cost.

My original intent was weight savings, so if I can achieve my goal using 4130, and end up with the same weight in the end I may go that route. We'll see soon when the companies respond with their quotes.

After doing some research, the original materials I had intended on using will not work (66061-T6). I've put in a few inquiries about custom sized materials (6061-T4).

In the interim, I did some looking for alternatives to aluminum. As it would turn out, if built from 4130 A519 chromoly, the weight will end up basically identical to Aluminum because wall thickness can be much lower and still maintain high strength. It's also about 1/2 the price of the 6061-T6 I've found, but I need T4, not T6 so not sure how the lower temper will change the material cost.

My original intent was weight savings, so if I can achieve my goal using 4130, and end up with the same weight in the end I may go that route. We'll see soon when the companies respond with their quotes.
TITANIUM? Custom Titanium Tubing North America - Titanium Joe

Rob,
Been looking for a long time . . . Where are these being made?
I am very interested, but want my own design as far as width, height, pull back and base width.
1" OK with me as well.

Interested.... as long as they come with instructions on how to switch them out....:D

Last edited:
Back