Basic tools for the home

Richard Tanner

.020 Over
Ride
Triumph Rocket 3 Roadster and Ducati Diavel
Greetings all. I am wondering if I should engage with the R3 a little more and get a toolkit for home. Even minor jobs seem to require a torque wrench these days. Any suggestions about what would be a reasonable tool kit would be much appreciated. I live in Hong Kong where there is not much of a do-it-yourself culture, but now that I am retired (the R3 was my retirement present to myself) I have more time to get involved. My first bike in 1964 was a Triumph Tiger Cub Sports which went wrong regularly and over time I completely rebuilt it. Then some older British bikes like a Matchless and an AJS and later I rebuilt a 1965 Triumph Tiger 90 350cc twin. All that was quite some time ago. The R3 is bigger than all of them put together! Thanks and best regards.

It would take to many photos to take in all the tools one needs but to start with you need---> a good quality torque wrench, full metric socket set, torx and allen (hex) keys, multi metre, heat gun and shrink tubing to go with the soldering iron, an ATV jack or if you have room a lift table, so you don't wreck your back working on the beast, a good relationship with a triumph spares dude, of course good set of spanners and and an assortment of screwdrivers and spacious work area ..... Mmm I think that covers the basics :rolleyes:

Last edited:
Just a thought, I dont purchase tool kits, I find you spend more money on lower quality tools and end up with a bunch of stuff you never use...hope that makes sence. When I get ready to do a job on anything mechanical, I do a little reasearch on what I will need to get it done and then I go and purchase only the tools I need for that job. I find I can spend a little extra on the tools this way and end up with better quality. Over time my tool collection has grown substantially, but, I use all of them and they have never failed me. If your making a wish list, dont forget to acquire a basic multimeter as well.

Cheers

Just a thought, I dont purchase tool kits, I find you spend more money on lower quality tools and end up with a bunch of stuff you never use...hope that makes sence. When I get ready to do a job on anything mechanical, I do a little reasearch on what I will need to get it done and then I go and purchase only the tools I need for that job. I find I can spend a little extra on the tools this way and end up with better quality. Over time my tool collection has grown substantially, but, I use all of them and they have never failed me. If your making a wish list, dont forget to acquire a basic multimeter as well.

Cheers
and learn how to use it CORRECTLY

TuneECU is the first and most essential tool. Apart from that, metric spanners and sockets, basic screwdrivers, hex keys, torx bits, and a few cans of refreshment.

Back