Journeyman

"And this one is just right" ~ Goldilocks
Ride
2020 3R
Seems nothing with this bike is easy. Has anyone balanced the throttle bodies on this bike yet? I'm looking into the procedure and hitting some roadblocks. The steps are detailed on pages 146 - 148 of the manual.

You have to remove the tank to clear the Plenum to get to the throttle body adjustment screws. Of course you then need the bike running to make the adjustment and I've heard TuneECU has a place for this- if not, please let me know. So, back on with the tank.

The manual calls for two special tools. T3880001 to extend the fuel line ($287.53) and T3880123 to extend the electrical connection to the fuel tank/pump ($31.14).

But, on the Hermy's website for both parts it says these are not compatible with your bike. WTF?

The $$$ fuel line extension has a connection for a pressure gauge, which is not needed for this procedure- you just need the extension so you can get the tank out of the way. My question to the few who have pulled the tank, like @Tal, is this..... is that connection somewhat standard where you could make the part, if you just knew what to get?

@Tal did you save your broken line- with that in hand would you have any interest into seeing if this can be done?

Otherwise, it's off to the dealer for what should be an easy task.

I'm tempted to see if I can lift the tank enough, once remounted, to get to those adjustment screws, but that **** connection is fragile plastic and I'm afraid each time I remove it, much less putting a hard tug on it.

If anyone has some insight or ideas, please jump in.

hey guy first i would check o see if they need ballancing.
the gas hose is not neccessary just unbolt (looses a little gas. plus it sounds like that is just a set up for checking fuel pressure.
on the tank i have a helper after i remove the long bolt
i guess i should ask are you talking about the 2020 ?

48TwrWf.png
98IEFhU.png

WE MUST USE TUNEECU do to that and yes we can do that with tuneecu
but why do we even need fuel pump connection tool T3880001 to extend the fuel line? we can just use a makeshift pipe as shown in video below.

i see so many videos about triumph tiger and other triumph bikes doing throttle body balancing without fuel line tool, maybe those bikes have easy access for throttle body torx screw adjuster?
yjObFjT.jpg

lRd8rv5.jpg

p3Sa3td.png

We must buy following items to do throttle bodies at home, I just placed an order, I would like to do this myself so

Fuel pipe
Fuel pipe coupler
Triumph OEM cable T3880123

Tune Ecu

Last edited:
Tuneecu displays manifold pressure in hPa to 10 hPa. Connect to your ECU, start the engine, look at the 3 values, and if they are the same to within 10 hPa at idle and also at 3-4k rpm, stop.

We must buy following items to do throttle bodies at home, I just placed an order, I would like to do this myself so

Fuel pipe
Fuel pipe coupler
Triumph OEM cable T3880123

Tune Ecu

Yes, that's really what this post is about- how to make that fuel line extension. Do you know the exact coupler (male and female) size? The eBay link you have at the bottom goes to a "No exact matches found."

Which exact parts did you order and how do you know that they are correct? There are a lot of different sizes those quick connects come in. Get it right and we'll all be happy.

Not sure you have to have that cable, but it'd sure be nice. You could probably jump it easy enough with some ingenuity.

OK, I think I found where your getting your information - it's on a Tiger. Fairly good chance the fuel line connectors are the same, but 🤷🏼‍♂️.

The link in that article to an eBay order is

The cable you have from that article looks wrong, even though they mention the same part number. There should not be those two small leads. There are other photos of the T3880123 cable that look like this...
s-l500.jpg

Just two wires- I'm debating just jumping them.

IF the connectors are the same as the Tiger there's a good chance Triumph is standardized on this. I had a Speed Triple and the connectors went to $hit on the first removal (common), or was that the Beamer- I forget. Somewhere I found metal replacements. If it was for the Speed I'll try to track those down.

If you've already made your order let us know if the parts match up. Thanks.

Yes, that's really what this post is about- how to make that fuel line extension. Do you know the exact coupler (male and female) size? The eBay link you have at the bottom goes to a "No exact matches found."

Which exact parts did you order and how do you know that they are correct? There are a lot of different sizes those quick connects come in. Get it right and we'll all be happy.

Not sure you have to have that cable, but it'd sure be nice. You could probably jump it easy enough with some ingenuity.

OK, I think I found where your getting your information - it's on a Tiger. Fairly good chance the fuel line connectors are the same, but 🤷🏼‍♂️.

The cable you have from that article looks wrong, even though they mention the same part number. There should not be those two small leads. There are other photos of the T3880123 cable that look like this...
s-l500.jpg

IF the connectors are the same as the Tiger there's a good chance Triumph is standardized on this. I had a Speed Triple and the connectors went to $hit on the first removal (common), or was that the Beamer- I forget. Somewhere I found metal replacements. If it was for the Speed I'll try to track those down.

The cable you have from that article looks wrong, even though they mention the same part number. There should not be those two small leads. There are other photos of the T3880123 cable that look like this..
Now, I do not want to take chances by jumping the fuel pump wires etc while working with fuel itself, a little spark can cause headaches instantly or down the road to fuel pump itself so I ordered the proper cable and its $33usd from triumph, I gave them the number T3880123 and whatever comes in I am happy. I can make cable and solder wires anytime but the cost of those oem connectors from china+ shipping will cost almost same as oem cable. Had that extension cable cost 100+usd i would have made copy of OEM cable by myself, those triumph harness connectors are also being used on several cars worldwide thus easier to find.

The fuel couplers I ordered are 8mm because the hose size is also 5/16" plus couplers are cheap like 5$ so I am taking my chances here. I also same size 5/16 fuel hose pipe but I ordered 2 meters as shown in youtube video.

8mm 9.89-ID8 Auto Car Fuel Line Hose Coupler Quick Release Connect Connector # | eBay < this is exactly what I ordered because of this photo
xAmWPYg.jpg

s-l500.jpg

The cable is being used on heaps on other triumph bikes so I guess we will find out which cable is correct, the one in your photo or one in youtube video plus photo i found on internet.

Extension Cable T3880123 Search by part number # TRIUMPH - Online Genuine Spare Parts Catalog

Back