Balance Weights

zimtuff

Nitrous
Ride
2008 Trimuph Rocket
Balance weights ,I think thats what they are called,the knobs on the end of the handlebars.
Ive been told they are there to absorb the vibration.
When Im riding they vibrate like hell,so they seem to be doing that ok.
I know some of the japper cruisers also have them,harleys dont :roll:

Any opinions or more information??
What happens if they are removed?

They are for looks mostly. They bolt into the bar end with an allen bolt. If they are vibrating around, you might want to snug them up. Bar end weights have been used to quell vibration but aren't as effective as rubber mounting the bars (like Harley) at the triple tree. I replaced mine with Throttlemeisters (Kuryakin also sells the bar ends). If you take them off it won't hurt anything (except the looks) and you might get a little more vibration in the bar. Take them off as an experiment and see.

The theory is that by adding more weight at the bar ends it will take more energy to move them thereby slowing the frequency of the vibrations but maintaining the solid connection to avoid the sponginess of rubber mounting them but pull them off and see if you like it there are many options to cover the bar ends kuryakin has helmet locks that screw into their grips throttle assists or plain caps

Thanks for the replies.
I have done them up tight but will check them again. They seem to have rubber in them.

Ive looked at the kuryakin grips. At the moment Im ok with the factory grips if I have gloves on.
The factory grips are terrible on a hot or wet day,too smooth and a little moisture makes them slippery

that a new one i believe their to stop them being like a hole punch to your body when you crash and the vibration and is controled by rubber mounting the handle bars but i could be wrong i like to see how they work

They are bull****. I replaced the horrible stock grips with Kuryakin Iso-Grips and they are much more comfortable with no vibration increase.

Back