Bad vibration in the front end.

Buzzo

.020 Over
Ride
2011 Roadster
Hi.

I took my 2011 roadster in for new tyres. I was going for the Avon Chromes after liking the last set of cobras. The owner of the store didn’t recommend the Cobras but said he sells a lot of Bridgestone Exceda Max rears and Matching front. So that’s what I bought.

I rode up the hwy the next day for a couple of hours and everything was fine until nearly home a car pulled over and I had to brake quite hard. The whole front end shook violently. WTF... After things settled down with the traffic I again was traveling at 110 km ( 65mph) and tested it again . Same result. I was very close to the motorcycle tyre shop so went there before they closed thinking they had stuffed something up. I tried again while traveling at 80 Km (50 mph) and everything was smooth. Sped up to 110 km again, braked and the vibration was bad again.

He inspected it quickly. Said the rotors weren’t warped. The calipers were tight. I told him to take it for a run and make sure he was going over 100 km and pull the front brake. He came back and said the bike shouldn’t be moved something is seriously wrong. They do mechanical work so I left it there. He’s talking steering head bearings. The bikes got 30,000 km on the clock.

Would anyone else have had the same problem and have some tips for him to look at?

Silly question but the bike was okay before the new tyres? the correct course of action was taken to let them check it out first, could be the tyres are not balanced correctly or just needing everything loosened that they touched and re-assembled again. Good luck and let us know what happens.

Hi.

I took my 2011 roadster in for new tyres. I was going for the Avon Chromes after liking the last set of cobras. The owner of the store didn’t recommend the Cobras but said he sells a lot of Bridgestone Exceda Max rears and Matching front. So that’s what I bought.

I rode up the hwy the next day for a couple of hours and everything was fine until nearly home a car pulled over and I had to brake quite hard. The whole front end shook violently. WTF... After things settled down with the traffic I again was traveling at 110 km ( 65mph) and tested it again . Same result. I was very close to the motorcycle tyre shop so went there before they closed thinking they had stuffed something up. I tried again while traveling at 80 Km (50 mph) and everything was smooth. Sped up to 110 km again, braked and the vibration was bad again.

He inspected it quickly. Said the rotors weren’t warped. The calipers were tight. I told him to take it for a run and make sure he was going over 100 km and pull the front brake. He came back and said the bike shouldn’t be moved something is seriously wrong. They do mechanical work so I left it there. He’s talking steering head bearings. The bikes got 30,000 km on the clock.

Would anyone else have had the same problem and have some tips for him to look at?

Last post tyre change wa'na kill me bike I saw was Claviger's. The situation self limited and was attributed to a bad bead sitting. Just my 2cnts.

Silly question but the bike was okay before the new tyres? the correct course of action was taken to let them check it out first, could be the tyres are not balanced correctly or just needing everything loosened that they touched and re-assembled again. Good luck and let us know what happens.

I immediately thought it had happened after the tyres being fitted. In hindsight I don’t know how long the problem has been there. Although I ride it daily and travel to my ladies two hours each way weekly that’s through the town and hills to her place. I probably haven’t had to brake reasonably hard over the 100 kph for a while.

The problem is very speed specific. Smooth as below and quite a violent vibration through the handlebars, instruments and mirrors above. The brake lever doesn’t pulse but I’m not sure it even would being hydraulic.

All I’ve found on the Net has been, faulty tyres, steering head bearings, disks warped and the bobbins holding the disks in place seizing.

The problem is how dramatic the change is from above and below a 100 kph.

Agree with @scott in exile - balance should be be checked and spindle. In fact everything the tyre company touched. Were you there when they lifted the bike?

Back