sixpack

Supercharged
well, I took my bike ( 06 R3 stock pipes air / cat eliminator stock tune 20227 ) out for a ride today somewhere along the line my exhaust clamp from the header to the cat eliminator came loose causing excessive poping I drove the bike home and repositioned the gasket and tightened the clamp, the bike still backfires, seems to be in front somewhere, it happens at idle and when I rev the engine, I think I will try a 12 min.tune when it cools off any ideas, did I do damage by riding the bike home ??? :(:confused: TIA

Remember, the 12 minute tune needs to start with the engine cold (I believe), and don't touch the trottle.

You know all the specs.

See ya.

I cant see how you could have damaged anything...but definitely a 12 min tune because the bike probably tried to adjust or compensate for the hiccup in the system.....good luck let us know how you made out

mutt

A twist to the problem, The bike won,t run long enough for a 12 min. tune and I hear a "hiss or snap" in the area of the primary tps, and eventually the bike stalls.. I heard the same sound earlier this am but I thought it might be rocks hitting under the fender,,,,guess not:eek: if I put my hand in the tps area ( I think it,s left front just below bearclaw) I feel a puff of air ?? when it hisses or snaps,, any ideas on this one ( hasn,t worked right since dealer installed tune and balanced throttle bodies..:(

My guess would be that the header gaskets are not sealing anymore (more likely just one or two of them) and you are losing back pressure as well as allowing air back into the exhaust causing the popping. Try replacing the header gaskets.

Any significant air leak will cause exhaust to detonate from drawing fresh air in during deceleration. If it came loose and you didn't get it sealed back up properly it may be leaking. Triumph uses wire mesh as a crush gasket around flanges, take it back apart and make sure it's not deformed or folded up. It may be necessary to either "fluff up" the mesh so you can crush it again, or use a sealant to stop any leaks.

I used an exhaust putty to seal up my TOR's to stop the popping during decel, works good formed into the wire mesh.

still trying to run a 12 min. tune, bike won't run long enough, backfire stalls bike, I see "vapor" in the area of the TPS, is this normal??, if I remove the tank to check things and set it on the seat area can I still run the bike??. My other problem is that I don't know what to look for as far as air leaks in the upper plumbing,, any help greatly appreciated.. nearest dealer (brand new ) aobout 160 km. away :(

You can prop the tank up with it's prop rod and still run the bike. The Primary TPS is located on the "seat" side of the throttle bodies. The TPS nearer the radiator is the Secondary TPS.

I know it seems like the exhaust leak caused your problem, but it might just be coincidental. Myself and SculptedThought have also been having this issue. See http://www.r3owners.net/general-tech-talk/10291-rocket-iii-help.html . He replaced his Primary TPS and that resolved the problem. I have one on order from BikeBandit as well.

thanks for the advise, so why would I hear a snap and feel a puff of air from the area of the secondary TPS....:confused: is the evaporator cannistor ther somrwhere??

I don't know why you would feel a puff of air or hear a snap in that area. There are vacuum lines that run to each throttle body. Maybe you have a vaccum line loose and when it backfires, you feel the puff of air? You can see the vacuum lines when you prop the tank up.

I can't think of any other reason, you would feel a puff of air in that area? The secondary TPS and idle stepper motor are electric. They wouldn't give you a puff of air.. and there's nothing else there. Maybe the rubber gromets where the throttle bodies connect to the motor?...

Back