Avon cobra or Bridgestone exedra rear?

GarrisonMatt

.040 Over
Ride
2013 rocket 3 roadster
as the thread says. Please let me know between the 2. Avon cobra or the Bridgestone exedra rear tire.

I ride around 13000 to 15000 mikes a year so I am gunna do research on the dark side. A lot of my miles are in the mountains and I ride hard and turn hard.

Anyway this is my first tire change on my rocket so it's all new to me. Thanks all

Many tire threads -- check 'em out -- bottom of this page are suggested by the site software based on the thread title, and a reminder, everyone here has a belly button -- just sayin'

as the thread says. Please let me know between the 2. Avon cobra or the Bridgestone exedra rear tire.

I ride around 13000 to 15000 mikes a year so I am gunna do research on the dark side. A lot of my miles are in the mountains and I ride hard and turn hard.

Anyway this is my first tire change on my rocket so it's all new to me. Thanks all
I've run both and average 10,000 miles a year in a mix of highway and Southern California twisties, riding hard and turning hard. I very slightly prefer the Cobra, but it's much more expensive. The Exedra Max has a slightly higher profile which helps on turn-in. I get about 5,000 miles out of each. Avon has a 15,000-mile pro-rated warranty for the Cobra, but it's a pain getting your tire vendor to honor it. They're both much better than the stock Metzeler, and it basically comes down to price. Be sure to get the V-rated tire! Don't do darkside! (donning flame suit...)

The opinions are all over from what I've seen. Most people comment when they're unhappy about things, so most threads are by folks who say the stock tires are inferior. I'm still riding on the factory set, and I have to agree -- there MUST be something better. We don't hear much from people who are passionate that stock Metzlers are the way to go -- happy people don't post much (with some happy exceptions). There is a whole sub-forum here dedicated to car tires, and the folks who like 'em, swear by 'em. I don't give much credence to the folks who give you all kinds of reasons why you shouldn't go with a car tire -- clearly the handling is different, and folks who like car tires like the longevity and the handling works for them. There are some threads on here where a few folks tried a car tire, and went back -- the handling wasn't o.k. with those folks.

I suggest @alpental pretty much and fairly summed up those two. You'll see others -- basically everything that will fit has been tried, including going the more extreme route of changing to different diameter wheels to gain access to yet different tires.

The other big variable you'll see is drastically different reports on the mileage obtained from the same model tires - though fairly intuitively folks who make greater than lesser use of the power available seem to be the ones who inversely get lesser than greater mileage out of their tires.

What this all comes down to, is looking in the mirror, and honestly assessing what are your goals, what are your skills, what are your preferences, and how elastic are your finances. Tires are an operating expense. If you are honest in your introspection, you will find comparable experience in the wealth of knowledge available here. Then choose your tires, and add your experience.

I run the Bridgestone EMax, and really like it for all types of riding. Haven't tried the Avon on the rear, so I can't make a comment on it. I do run one on the front, and have been very satisfied with it.

I have run DS on a couple of cruises before the R3R, but they didn't have near the lean angle of the R3. They are great for lasting a long time, but do handle differently. The only real negative I've seen was a picture posted by @TriumPhil (I think), of a DS that had been ridden aggressively, and the letters were worn off the sidewalls. I don't think it's a common problem, but it was something that would always be on my mind if I rode one in the twisties.

I run the Bridgestone EMax, and really like it for all types of riding. Haven't tried the Avon on the rear, so I can't make a comment on it. I do run one on the front, and have been very satisfied with it.

I have run DS on a couple of cruises before the R3R, but they didn't have near the lean angle of the R3. They are great for lasting a long time, but do handle differently. The only real negative I've seen was a picture posted by @TriumPhil (I think), of a DS that had been ridden aggressively, and the letters were worn off the sidewalls. I don't think it's a common problem, but it was something that would always be on my mind if I rode one in the twisties.
Dark Side.jpg

What about this one @Steel

I live in the hills.

Had a D/S on as my first replacement (back then there was no EMAX). The D/S was fine for most things but I will say that Alpine Hairpins is not their strong point. You'll find that a DS wears the edges off long before centre tread is half worn. Moved to an EMax and it's better for for Alpine roads. I read loads of bull on handling on a DS and most of the issues mentioned are in fact resolved by changing the front tyre. Something many now see as a must anyway.

Metzlers have one VERY VERY strong point - especially if you ride where it is cool/cold.
They stick to the road. Like wet shyt to a blanket. I have ridden on black ice on metzlers and (whilst it was a silly thing to do) they gripped fine.

The R3 however - is not , ime, a particularly good Alpine Charger - simply the wheelbase is too long.

I've run both and average 10,000 miles a year in a mix of highway and Southern California twisties, riding hard and turning hard. I very slightly prefer the Cobra, but it's much more expensive. The Exedra Max has a slightly higher profile which helps on turn-in. I get about 5,000 miles out of each. Avon has a 15,000-mile pro-rated warranty for the Cobra, but it's a pain getting your tire vendor to honor it. They're both much better than the stock Metzeler, and it basically comes down to price. Be sure to get the V-rated tire! Don't do darkside! (donning flame suit...)

Blatant hi-jack . . .
Good seeing you around, Abe!!!
Where ya been?
Riding to Cali next month. Ride includes spending 5 nights and 4 days riding around South Lake Tahoe area.
Ride up and say hello?!?!?

I have had a couple of Bridgestone Exceedra Max and are very happy with them

Back