Avon Cobra Chrome

Still have my recalled one on. Bike Bandit was so unhelpful. I am still pi** off.

I got about 9,000 miles on the recall tire just installed a new one about a week ago. Considering the mileage just bought a new one.

The tire at 9,000 miles developed lateral cracks that were small but enough to make me park it for a week until tire was replaced. Had the new tire setting in the bedroom for about two months prior to installing. Did get screwed by Honda of Shawnee. They charged me $100.00 dollars for a carry in. Keep a eye on the tire .

The tire at 9,000 miles developed lateral cracks that were small but enough to make me park it for a week until tire was replaced. Had the new tire setting in the bedroom for about two months prior to installing. Did get screwed by Honda of Shawnee. They charged me $100.00 dollars for a carry in. Keep a eye on the tire .
Thanks I will. Fortunately it's on my around town bike so it won't get me stranded out in BFE.

Metzeler's are the way to go. They never have issues with their tires. Do some research on Metzelers before you purchase them. Especially the New 888's. Thought about doing the same but after doing some research i stuck with the Chromes. My front tire has over 10,000 miles and still looks good. Back tire just replaced.

I had replaced the Dunlop stock on my previous Indian bike (since the Dunlop Elite 3 were not good enough on wet roads) and before they were used, by the latest Metzeler Cruisetec and I felt a clear improvement even on dry roads : the bike was easier to handle with the Cruisetec especially on curvy roads and bad roads and we were many Indian owners to do so... Indian obviously realised this since these Cruisetec (launched in 2019 and on the top of the Metzeler family for these dimensions) come now stock on the new Indian model "Challenger" instead of the Dunlop.

I've just checked which Metzeler model would suit the R3 2.5 and it looks like it'd be only the ME 888 MARATHON ULTRA (apparently there are no Cruisetec for the R3 tires dimensions).
These ME 888 Marathon Ultra were also among the favorite tires for the custom bikes owners (also for Goldw. owners) before the latest Cruisetec were announced last year (both Cruisetec and Cobra Chrome belong to the latest tires generation unlike the ME888 Marathon Ultra).

However I still observe that preferences vary : there are bikers who are pro Avon or pro Dunlop or pro Metzeler or pro Michelin...Question of riding style and experience.

Last edited:
Back