barbagris

Mad Scientist
Ride
1979 Guzzi V1000G5 - 2018 KTM 790 Duke
When they run out - The Avon Roadrider series MAY offer an option

Roadrider (universal)140/80V17(69V) - Made for MT3.50 rim

Designed for FRONT OR REAR FITMENT - and in the EU is a legal valid replacement for a 150/80R17.

I use RoadRiders on my Guzzi. EXCELLENT. Only a V which is a bit of a bugger - but!

Roadrider.png

HOW bout the EXCEDRA MAX front and rear
Is there a 140/80 17 E-Max? - Nope. The highest load rating I can find is a 130/70VR17 - has the advantage of Z rating - but very low (for my ease of mind) load rating.
130 70 R 17 62 W TL
62 is 285kg. - 69 (the 140/80) are all 69 or 325kg - the 150/80's are 72 or 355kg.

I can risk a 30kg less - but 70kg is pushing my confidence limits. Two up load transfer will easily overload 285kg.

REAR - do what you want - an E-max wont fit with my pipes. If it was a 240/50ZR16 - I'd be there like a shot.
Ideally I'd like a 200/60ZR16. or 200/70ZR17 - bout these both require bespoke rims.

Is there a 140/80 17 E-Max? - Nope. The highest load rating I can find is a 130/70VR17 - has the advantage of Z rating - but very low (for my ease of mind) load rating.
130 70 R 17 62 W TL
62 is 285kg. - 69 (the 140/80) are all 69 or 325kg - the 150/80's are 72 or 355kg.

I can risk a 30kg less - but 70kg is pushing my confidence limits. Two up load transfer will easily overload 285kg.

REAR - do what you want - an E-max wont fit with my pipes. If it was a 240/50ZR16 - I'd be there like a shot.
Ideally I'd like a 200/60ZR16. or 200/70ZR17 - bout these both require bespoke rims.
WELL thats silly if your going to pull a trailer then your turning your bike into a tow vehical and it wasnt designed for that use so your on your own and overloading the machine and then you add homemade pipes that kill the HP and rub the tire OH MY ???

Where did he mention a trailer or towing? Where did you get the idea that his pipes rob power? I have the same setup and had to add a chunk of fuel over a professionally tuned bike with OEM pipes. The pipes don't rub the tyre, unless you put an oversize tyre on, then they may. OH YOU INDEED!!!

Where did he mention a trailer or towing? Where did you get the idea that his pipes rob power? I have the same setup and had to add a chunk of fuel over a professionally tuned bike with OEM pipes. The pipes don't rub the tyre, unless you put an oversize tyre on, then they may. OH YOU INDEED!!!
I think Art mistook two up to mean towing - rather than (as it refers to amongst the originators of English) with a passenger.

Sadly for the uninformed, as well - iirc all 6 sets of Thugs are in safe hands.

Mine might now clear the E-Max btw - I managed to gain about 10mm Though it took some finessing due to that Jardine header.

But until this Goodyear wears out I won't be changing the rear.

Seem to have double posted some of that too.

Those pipes dont make the HP and lack tire clearance

Those pipes dont make the HP and lack tire clearance
Thing is Art - there are only afaik 6 THUGS - and just about every set is mated to a different set of headers - and in my case both the THUGs and headers (sort of a Predator/Jardine mix) are modified as well.

So saying "THEY" is wildly speculative. Which one of the half dozen different collector/tailpipe setups are you referring to?

Will mine allow 300bhp? - NO!. But they were not made to do so. My setup does deliver more mid range torque - which is exactly what I wanted and what I asked Sam to make mine to do.

On a standard 240/50R16 as spec'd by Triumph - there is adequate clearance. Gobbits of it (that's a lot in Olde Englishe)

As Ian says - only with oversized tyres is there a risk of contact (and here in Europe - illegal - The E-max would be an INSTANT on the spot fine if you were stopped as being outside € homologated specs). And yes our Guardia Civil traffic cops do carry abbreviated copies of what is legal and what is not, and calculators. And if in doubt - they call the DoT.

I know as they pulled the book out when the stopped me - for a different transgression - with a bloody lovely 680bhp Nissan. If in doubt they generally will not book you - but if they're after you - with an E-Max rear on - I estimate a 300 €uro fine. Oh and they were not in the slightest bit worried about the C/T - so that by precedent is LEGAL here. They have photos/details of the vehicle as stopped and cleared it.

And yes they called the DoT for clarification on one or two other things - like different indicator lenses, and LED vs Halogen clarification. They learned - and so did I as a result - all clouds have silver linings. Cost me €100 for being a naughty boy but I saw it as a consultancy call.

My lightly oversized (but with the 3% legal range) just brushed/polished one tiny bit despite having clearance when stood still. 2 * 8mm holes - slight trimming of the wire/lead gasket thing and I've gained 10mm MORE clearance with no hassle. Something one has to expect to play with on a ONE OFF pipe about 5000miles away. My mistake was not looking at it earlier.

And what the F*CK this has to do with a replacement 140/80R17 front - which YOU already know benefits handling - iirc was you who first tried a 140/75.
Thing is I can LEGALLY ride with a 140/80 and NOT a 140/75 - the law's an ass - what can I say.

Last edited:
Back