Auxiliary Power Socket - A9938047

Scuba Craig

Supercharged
Ride
2010 R3R + TOR + RamAir
Just doing a bit of pre-planning while my auxiliary power socket is in-transit.

The instructions (http://www.triumphinstructions.com/ProdDocs/A9938047-EN.pdf) state ...

Locate the two-pin electrical connector marked with blue tape in the main wiring harness. The connector is situated in the area which was covered by the left hand frame infill panel. Fit the connector to the back of the auxiliary power socket.

My question ... is the connector in the first pic below the one I am looking for? The plug doesn't appear to be correct to just fit to the back of the new power socket. I'll happily change the connector over if need be. But I'd rather not butcher that cable if it is there for some other purpose. And if not, where is the connect referred to in the instructions?

Thanks in advance.

IMG_5054.JPG

Pic 1: Behind the left-side panel.

IMG_5058.JPG

Pic 2: close-up of the connector

Wrong connection. You need to look behind the small panel in front of frame rail that the power socket goes in. Also unless Triumph has changed it is a DIN or Powerlet socket not a cigarette lighter plug.

Wrong connection. You need to look behind the small panel in front of frame rail that the power socket goes in.

Thanks. Didn't think about looking under that panel. I will check again.

Also unless Triumph has changed it is a DIN or Powerlet socket not a cigarette lighter plug.

That's ok. I'm not actually buying the Triumph socket. I was just referring to the install instructions. I haven't had much luck with cigarette power sockets. The plugs vibrate loose too easily. I have sourced a twin-USB socket as everything I need to power has a USB plug.

Wrong connection. You need to look behind the small panel in front of frame rail that the power socket goes in.

Just checked behind door number 2. I can't find the connector, so I'm guessing it has been hijacked for a project by the previous owner. There's a couple of connectors of that type that feed back up under the tank. I'll have to chase these cables when I get some spare minutes over the weekend.

When I installed my power connector I didn't see the correct wire at first....it was much further in that I was expecting but after looking for closely I was able to pull it out.

Thanks Jeff. The bike was hot when I checked so I didn't want to reach too far in. Just poked around with my phone torch. I'll do a more thorough looksie tomorrow.

It may be an academic exercise though. I think I've read recently that the auxiliary line is always on. If this is correct I will look for a switched power source.

Yes that line is always hot....for me its a good thing as I use it for my heated vest if I am riding in the cold or for my battery tender if parked for the winter.

G'day Craig I have my power outlet fixed to the RHS side cover, the power runs straight from the battery through a fuse the onto a waterproof switch then to the waterproof Merit outlet these outlets are also called BMW or European plugs ,they IMOP hold onto the connected plug firmer. I just carry a convertor plug to adapt to standard cig lighter plugs if needed,I don't know what the standard R3 set up is

Back