Auxiliary fuel tank

BigNorm

Boobie Inspector
Ride
2014 Rocket 3 Touring
I'm considering having an auxiliary fuel tank built to fill the hole left by the stock air box. I'm thinking of having it hooked into the main tank via fuel hose and having it vent into the stock tank so it can fill. I'm curious to know how much pressure is needed for the stock injectors and if more pressure is a good thing. I was thinking that getting car style fuel pump that dropped in the top of the lower fabbed tank might be the way to go. Any constructive help is appreciated.

I'm considering having an auxiliary fuel tank built to fill the hole left by the stock air box. I'm thinking of having it hooked into the main tank via fuel hose and having it vent into the stock tank so it can fill. I'm curious to know how much pressure is needed for the stock injectors and if more pressure is a good thing. I was thinking that getting car style fuel pump that dropped in the top of the lower fabbed tank might be the way to go. Any constructive help is appreciated.
OK stop right there not a good Idea use the airbox for storage and youll be a happy camper

A whole lot of work for a few extra litres fuel.

Running duel pumps hmm a simpler way would be stick the existing pump filter and reg in the aux fuel tank and feed the aux tank from the main tank by gravity through the existing fuel hose 1st leg.
Then 2nd leg of existing fuel hose would be the pressurised supply from the aux tank to the injector rail.

Of course the pump filter and reg will occupy volume in the tank so will cost u fuel space in the aux. But u would gain space in the main tank.

Still. Seems a lot of work and expense for little gain. Custom fabricated anything is expensive :(

You could upgrade your motor and then will need the airbox for a 2nd battery, adjustable fuel reg or traction fluid catch can :D

To answer your other question our fuel system runs at 3 bar

@tdragger added a nice tank to his Trophy for his 50CC Iron Butt. It sets behind him and not sure how much it holds, but it will give you much more than an airfilter space tank will.

Spend your money on led headlight bulb you can find them for under $20 on ebay and any other goodies you like no reason for a bigger tank

Running duel pumps hmm a simpler way would be stick the existing pump filter and reg in the aux fuel tank and feed the aux tank from the main tank by gravity through the existing fuel hose 1st leg.
Then 2nd leg of existing fuel hose would be the pressurised supply from the aux tank to the injector rail.

Of course the pump filter and reg will occupy volume in the tank so will cost u fuel space in the aux. But u would gain space in the main tank.

Still. Seems a lot of work and expense for little gain. Custom fabricated anything is expensive :(

You could upgrade your motor and then will need the airbox for a 2nd battery, adjustable fuel reg or traction fluid catch can :D

I got this bright idea about a year ago too? I thought the lower CG would be pretty cool too but we're only talking about maybe 10 pounds anyway. As IMFASTTOO say's, forget about it!:laugh:. Too many issues with implementation for what, maybe 1 extra gallon. Another big decision/problem would be how to rig the fuel gauge and calibration. After driving to Las Vegas and back from Virginia, I realized I don't really want to go any further without stopping even if I got some wild hair to do some form of Iron Butt.:eek: Always fun to scheme though...........

Save all of the fab work and buy this. Way cheaper, holds a gallon and works as a piss bottle if empty. :D
untitled.png
J&P cycle and others, under $20, saddlebag fuel can.

Thanks for your reply . I must not have explained myself well because that is what I was trying to describe. Gravity fed and the pump would reside in the lower tank. Another idea would be to add to the bottom of the stock tank or to build another auxiliary tank above the motor.

I resonate with this quest, even if I find it too daunting to attempt myself -- depending on the outcome, I might request "an extra for me please".

This is my one negative aspect of this bike -- it's short legs. I complain about that with my 2014 Honda CTX700D - even with its miniscule 3 1/2 gal I can get close to 200 miles on a tank. 150 is about the best I can do on the Rocket. And for me, that is about 50 miles too soon.

Back