Aux power for music

Tugboat Tim

.040 Over
Ride
08 tour
yes if you wire in to it... not sure but I think it is live all the time.
or you could get the right plugs and make the connection temporary.
I currently have mine taped in with a fuse to the battery and I just turn the amp off and on. You can also tap into the live wire for the lights that run off the ignition. There is a msg in the forums that outline which wire it is.

Get one of those pointy little testers that show you whether a wire is live or not. Find a wire that is live when you want it to be (e.g., always, only when the key is on, when the horn button is depressed, etc.).

Use a relay to connect to that wire.

Run the amp off the battery with an inline fuse, through the relay.

I learned this lesson the hard way :lol: :lol: :lol: Long story. Anyway, the relay has two wires that tell it when to be on or off, that's controlled by the wire that you found. And then two more wires coming from the battery pos/neg that run the power, without putting a burden on whatever wire it is that you tapped into.

For example, as it turns you, you CANNOT run halogen headlamps off of the running lights circuit. At least, not for longer than a few seconds before the smoke comes out of the wire.

xhdskip said:
Well that was the problem Geek,
you let the smoke escape.

Yeah ... no doubt. And I should note for those who follow in my footsteps ... that smoke is awfully tough to capture and re-inject into the wire. It appears to be critical to the functioning of the wire too, because the system will not operate without the smoke.

Back