munster

.060 Over
Ride
2012 Triumph Rocket III Touring
My 2012 TR3T has a switch for Aux lights on the left hand control. There are no Aux lights fitted. There is a lead under the left hand side cover which has power controlled by the aux light switch, but, I'm only getting 8 volts out of it? Is this normal? Is it meant to only drive a relay for the aux lights?

Went to fit some small LED lights on the crash bars and there was not enough voltage to run them. They run fine on a seperate 12 volt source.

Anyone got a wiring diagram for the Touring? Can only find one for the Roadster.

Cheers

The connector for the aux lights should have three wires - Black, (Ground) Purple (Constant power - supply voltage) and Blue/Black - from Switch
This connector is item 58 on the schematic - note the schematic is incorrect, the ground wire is missing

That connector should be connected to a relay harness - this harness which includes the relay, is not present as 'std' as it is part of the aux lights kit.

You should certainly be getting a full 12V from that Blue/Black wire (which normally feeds the relay coil positive)

How are you measuring the 8V .....
1) what are you using as the ground reference for your meter (you should use either the black wire terminal or actual battery negative - do NOT use the frame or headlight shell as the ground reference)
2) is that measured 'open load' on the Blue/Black wire, or is there something connected to it?
3) Is that with just ignition on, or bike running - does it change when bike running?
4) If not running, what is voltage measured directly across the battery compared to the 8V you get at the switched signal?

OK, I only have 2 wires, brown and yellow / red. 8 volts on my old Triplett meter with ignition on, bike not running, getting 13.5 - 13.8v across battery.

I will check with the bike running tonight.

That is not the Aux lamps connector
I just recognized you said this connector was behind the left side panel - sounds like you have the Purge Valve connector (which is actually Brown/Pink and Yellow/Red)
There is NO WAY that connector is being controlled by the Aux Lamp switch! :D

The Aux lamps connector is as-identified above and will be located in the area behind the steering head.

OK, Remember I am a newbie to this bike. What's a purge valve? When connected to volt meter, it does register on/off with the aux light switch?

I'll have a look under the steering head.

Thanks for all your help.

... When connected to volt meter, it does register on/off with the aux light switch?

Willing to wager it absolutely does not! :D

What's a purge valve?

Originally California-Only bikes had a fuel emissions charcoal canister system - the harnesses are standard whether has this feature or not.
The purge valve is controlled by the ECU for the purpose designated by its name.

Well, been maried for over 20 years, so I've been wrong plenty of times before today, getting used to it :p

I owe you a beer when you're next over this way :)

p.s. not sure what kind of current your LEDS are pulling (but if they're worth a **** in terms of throwing any real usable light they will be at least few amps) then you should use a relay as per the OEM config - if you connect directly to the blue/Black it will be pulling off the headlight circuit and through the key-switch

Back