At Dealer Yesterday...

Mike

American Legion Rider
Ride
2015 R3T
Temp broke 50F yesterday so off to the dealer, about a 50 mile ride, to file a warranty claim. I noticed the left grip had a layer of rubber material lifting and peeling like a sun burn. No issue, and new grip on order.
Looking at the new bikes, they had a couple of new Triumph BOBBERS. Not my kind of bike, and at 65 it may be an age thing, but I can not figure out what it is supposed to be. Very small, picture makes it look larger, and a short wheel base, felt like a Sting Ray pedal bike from way back. And the price!! more then I paid last Sept for my NEW '15 R3T! Maybe just a city bike for the kids to terrorize the cars on the streets with, just don't know.
Bobber.jpg

You guys must know about the Mods vs Rockers right? Especially you guys from England. Well that is where a lot of the bobbed bikes started. Some say it started in the USA with servicemen coming home from the war and they loved those Indians and Harleys. They cut and bobbed the fenders tossed the extra crap and made bobbed race bikes out of old military bikes. Cafe bikes and bobbers were all over England in the late 50s to the 70s. Triumph is making a nostalgic stab at the bobber market to get a new generation of riders purchasing motor bikes again. Look what Yamaha, Ducati, Moto Guzzi, Suzuki,and Triumph are doing with scramblers. I am happy to see their attempt at this. It makes you realize they do not live in a bubble of any particular style of bike. I think its a great attempt to attract new riders. If we dont get a younger crowd involved with different styles of bikes, certain models will fade away and eventually only a few manufacturers will survive. Look beyond your own bike and see the vast world of excellent motorcycles that exist for us all.

You guys must know about the Mods vs Rockers right? Especially you guys from England. Well that is where a lot of the bobbed bikes started. Some say it started in the USA with servicemen coming home from the war and they loved those Indians and Harleys. They cut and bobbed the fenders tossed the extra crap and made bobbed race bikes out of old military bikes. Cafe bikes and bobbers were all over England in the late 50s to the 70s. Triumph is making a nostalgic stab at the bobber market to get a new generation of riders purchasing motor bikes again. Look what Yamaha, Ducati, Moto Guzzi, Suzuki,and Triumph are doing with scramblers. I am happy to see their attempt at this. It makes you realize they do not live in a bubble of any particular style of bike. I think its a great attempt to attract new riders. If we dont get a younger crowd involved with different styles of bikes, certain models will fade away and eventually only a few manufacturers will survive. Look beyond your own bike and see the vast world of excellent motorcycles that exist for us all.
Your description of the Bobbers deriving from post war military bikes is spot on , and as you say the later Cafe racers in the 50s and 60s , so derived from the famous ACE CAFE on the outskirts of London .
Now to the new Triumph Bobber , This bike is aimed at the new hipster generation of bikers and as you say , the born again biker . Especially ones around 5 feet tall and 10 stone dripping wet ! A nice looking but very niche market bike I believe ? It certainly would not fit my 6foot 19 n half stone frame !

Correct me if I'm wrong, but, back in the day, weren't many, if not most of the Mods crowd riding itty-bitty rice burners and Vespas?:roll:

Oh, crikey, Nat!!!:eek: At near 20 stone you best be captaining a double-hulled ship.:D

Last edited:
Correct me if I'm wrong, but, back in the day, weren't many, if not most of the Mods crowd riding itty-bitty rice burners and Vespas?:roll:
You are correct. If I had a prize you would have earned it. I am glad someone knows some of the history of motorcycles, motor scooters and the cool guys vs the nerds as it was.

Your description of the Bobbers deriving from post war military bikes is spot on , and as you say the later Cafe racers in the 50s and 60s , so derived from the famous ACE CAFE on the outskirts of London .
Now to the new Triumph Bobber , This bike is aimed at the new hipster generation of bikers and as you say , the born again biker . Especially ones around 5 feet tall and 10 stone dripping wet ! A nice looking but very niche market bike I believe ? It certainly would not fit my 6foot 19 n half stone frame !
Nat67 I would say that some of these new bikes are clearly not aimed at big fellas like yourself, or most veteran riders for that matter. As I suggested they are being targeted for the new riders and the folks that like the retro stuff. But again they are keeping the hobby alive. Regardless of the style or demographic. Personally I could give two sh!ts who is riding motorcycles. Green, red, purple, gay, lesbo, straight, tall, short, fat, skinny, and the list continues. As long as people are buying motorcycles the industry survives and the hobby thrives.

Back