Association Without Representation

69birdflu

Supercharged
Went to Bikeweek in Daytona today. Thought I would stop by the Triumph tent and kick tires on the 2013 demos.
HOWEVER, as I passed a multitude of tents, guess what? No Triumph.
Figured I would ride over to dealership where I bought my Rocket. It's not the "big tent" advertising at the speedway like the other brands, but they had a lot of stuff going on last year.

When I got there, the only tents were selling clothes. I asked a sales person where is Triumph?
I was told they decided not to show, but the Ducati reps would be there tomorrow giving demo rides.
Ducati? DUCATI!:mad: What's up with that? It was like: We sell Ducati & BMW, and by the way Triumph.

I don't blame the dealership I blame Triumph Corp. The dog and pony shows create buyer interest and customer brand loyalty.

It's like Triumph has a sarcastic attitude. If you are smart enough to do your homework and not follow the crowd, you are smart enough to ride a Triumph.

Heck, maybe it's me, maybe they sell so many in Europe, it's not a big deal to grab market share from Harley, Honda and the others.

Anyway, I have a new slogan for Triumph.:(
Triumph Motorcycles Britain's best kept secret in America.

Triumph are a very small company playing along with some very big boys, if they had the funds I quite believe they would be at every show possible but they do not so they must choose carefully where to go, it has been a few years since I last went to bike week but then it was 99% harleys and I do not think that it has changed much, as harley riders are extremely loyal why should Triumph waste one penny on them.
Just my two bobs worth :D

I get it. Pretty much anyone who rides has heard of Triumph. It's a riders' marque, the thinking man's bike, not for those who just feel the need to have a motorbike to park next to their BMW or Audi. Triumph riders don't need to buy someone else's lifestyle like a lot of Harley riders do. Have said it before; I don't want them to be popular, as long as they sell enough to stay in business. Bet there wasn't an MV Augusta or Aprilia tent either.

Understand your dissapointment that Triumph wasn't there but i'm with Scotty and Canberra on this one .. comes down to where to spend your advertising dollar. Also a bit of "what's the point" when nearly everyone there is Harley or 'American Made' blindly brand loyal. I too just want them to stay afloat and not flood the market..just my thoughts ( well the others thoughts really :p)

True, you have to spend your funds where they will do best. Unfortunately Triumph falls short on having a good dealer network in the U.S. I have loved my Triumphs from my first Bonneville 650 to my two Bonneville Americas when they came back into business to my R3 Touring. I put almost 20,000 miles on her last year. Doubt I will get that many this year due to not going x-country this year. ButnI will do my best. My snow is melting fast and the trail is shot so I am having snowmobile withdrawal right now. And it will be a couple months till my bike riding starts. Spring has become a bummer, ha ha ha.

I have to agree with the exiled one. Harley riders are pretty loyal. I rode to Gainesville Harley Davidson Saturday and they were very busy. With Daytona Beach down the rode a little ways, there were a lot of bikers moving through the area. They must have had all hands on deck. They were slammed. I pull the Rocket front and center and go inside to look for a pillion pad for my wife. Inside a young 20 year old kid helps me and offers to go outside to check the fit. When outside he sees the bike "Holy crap look at the size of that engine...is that a six cylinder ?" Nope 3. He asked the size of engine. I tell him. "Holy ****. Did you say 140 cubic Inches? Yep. "Awesome!" I am loving the enthusiasm this kid has. He didn't realize all the people staring. Disapproving. We go back inside, he tells me "You have to meet my parts manager. " He sees the manager and he shouts " THIS GUY HAS A TRIUMPH WITH A 140 CUBIC MOTOR, YOU GOTTA SEE IT!" If looks could kill the young man would have been dead. The look his boss gave him was hard. Of course the manager was polite but looked uncomfortable.

After I payed, I walked up behind 3 employees that migrated close to my bike looking without looking. When I walk past the quickly looked away. It was funny, everybody was looking everywhere except where my bike was sitting. I know those three employees and probably a few customers liked the Rocket, but peer pressure was so intense they did not even want to look in my direction.
It is like being with your wife and a hot half naked lady walks by, you want to look but know if you do you are in for it!

I started my bike revved the engine with a smile and left.

Some of these Harley guys trip me out!

It does seem Triumph doesn't get pushed enough at dealerships. I was at my local (30 miles away) dealership and they had all the Triumph bikes in the very back. All the others was up front in the store front.

Funny thing at the dealership, they had a used (up) Harley
marked down from $20,995 to $18,995. What a deal!:rolleyes:
Three steps to the right, a flat black new 2012 roadster with
a card board sign that they wrote with a magic marker; $13,500 comes with new accessories. Soooo you're saying:confused::confused::confused:

Daytona Bike Week 2013 -1 - YouTube

I wonder if they put all their eggs in the first India Bike Week basket in Feb. Maybe Piers Morgan scared them off with our out of control assault rifles.. I called down to make reservations this year at the hotel i always stay at and their prices were out of site.What i've noticed the last two years is that a lot of what used to be in Daytona has spread out. There is a Triumph dealer in Ormand Beach along with Bruce Rossmeyers Harley Davidson that steals the show from main street. They usually set up down by the race track.strange:confused:

Attachments

• IMG_0538.jpg
    IMG_0538.jpg
    340.1 KB · Views: 83
  • IMG_0529.jpg
    IMG_0529.jpg
    382.6 KB · Views: 88
  • IMG_0532.jpg
    IMG_0532.jpg
    304.5 KB · Views: 90
Back