As if I needed this. Failing to Start

Aregg

.020 Over
Ride
Collecting my Rocket 3 GT next week, also a Honda
Rode my 2021 US Rocket 3 yesterday for 35 miles, stopped for about 15 minutes came to start it and it would not. I did not have the Key fob so thought maybe I am not getting that standard key in correct position. Bright sunlight so could not see the red light, and a lot of noise around. Anyway after a few tries it started so came home.
Came to start it today and it behaved as if the battery was totally flat, everything came on but when I pressed the start there was a click and all dead. Same exact behavior as a low charge battery.
All my toys are always on battery tender but the possibility was that maybe I had a bad battery.
Hooked up to a tester and the report was perfectly fine battery and 99% charged.
Turned the main switch (US Model) on and off. No luck, rocked the bike no luck.
Held the bike upright retracted the side-stand and it started immediately.
Bad side stand switch? Makes no sense it should only cut off if in gear. So tried it, no it would not start but the lights and the display did not dim or go off so can not be it.
Bike has about 1100 miles on it. Once OK the starter engages and starts the engine, if I turn it off and try again same story no problem.
I hate intermittent issues, it translates to a very long time at the dealership.
Any ideas, any other with similar issue?

Anyone managed to roll start one of these monsters?

Rode my 2021 US Rocket 3 yesterday for 35 miles, stopped for about 15 minutes came to start it and it would not. I did not have the Key fob so thought maybe I am not getting that standard key in correct position. Bright sunlight so could not see the red light, and a lot of noise around. Anyway after a few tries it started so came home.
Came to start it today and it behaved as if the battery was totally flat, everything came on but when I pressed the start there was a click and all dead. Same exact behavior as a low charge battery.
All my toys are always on battery tender but the possibility was that maybe I had a bad battery.
Hooked up to a tester and the report was perfectly fine battery and 99% charged.
Turned the main switch (US Model) on and off. No luck, rocked the bike no luck.
Held the bike upright retracted the side-stand and it started immediately.
Bad side stand switch? Makes no sense it should only cut off if in gear. So tried it, no it would not start but the lights and the display did not dim or go off so can not be it.
Bike has about 1100 miles on it. Once OK the starter engages and starts the engine, if I turn it off and try again same story no problem.
I hate intermittent issues, it translates to a very long time at the dealership.
Any ideas, any other with similar issue?

Anyone managed to roll start one of these monsters?

Going on what u are tell us it seems u have a bike that is not in neutral or the n for neutral is not showing up
question can u see the n on the screen?
if so will it start with kickstand down?

Going on what u are tell us it seems u have a bike that is not in neutral or the n for neutral is not showing up
question can u see the n on the screen?
if so will it start with kickstand down?
bike will not start in gear with kickstand down.

bike will not start in gear with kickstand down.
Must admit I am getting pretty old so double check everything. The bike was in neutral, nothing out of place. I have tried to replicate the issue by not having it in neutral, it will not even want to start but then there is no click, the lights and the display do not dim or go off.
What happens is exactly the same as trying to start a bike with a very low battery, the lights and everything comes on but when you hit start there is a click and everything dies down.
The terminals on the battery are tight and clean.

Must admit I am getting pretty old so double check everything. The bike was in neutral, nothing out of place. I have tried to replicate the issue by not having it in neutral, it will not even want to start but then there is no click, the lights and the display do not dim or go off.
What happens is exactly the same as trying to start a bike with a very low battery, the lights and everything comes on but when you hit start there is a click and everything dies down.
The terminals on the battery are tight and clean.
sounds like ur going to have to have a volt meter on it when it clicks.
two types of probs
one the starter solenoid is clicking and not making contact with the two terminals inside the starter
or they r making contact and the battery volts drop so low the solenoid disengages.
this can b checked at the starter/positive cable at starter with volt meter however if the solenoid is not making the contact it will remain at around 12 volts.

sounds like ur going to have to have a volt meter on it when it clicks.
two types of probs
one the starter solenoid is clicking and not making contact with the two terminals inside the starter
or they r making contact and the battery volts drop so low the solenoid disengages.
this can b checked at the starter/positive cable at starter with volt meter however if the solenoid is not making the contact it will remain at around 12 volts.
Next time it does that I will jump the battery with another so I can eliminate the battery although am confident that is not the issue.
Anyone knows where the starter and the solenoid are located?
Kind of wish there was a workshop manual I could buy so can locate where things are and how to get to them. I went to order a second Key Fob at the dealer and at the same time talked to the service advisor, his comment was Triumph's and their electrical issues. Also said no one that they know has had a similar issue. He also felt there was no way I could roll start the beast. :)

when i ask u the question about starting in gear with stand down it was just for info
not suppose to start and that is what it is suppose to do.
starter solenoid is on top of starter
starter is at the bottom of motor on the right side.
i think that is what is making the click
there is a downloadable manual on idk postings if u can not find it i will try tomorrow.
the old rocket did this all the time yours is the first new one i have heard of.

when i ask u the question about starting in gear with stand down it was just for info
not suppose to start and that is what it is suppose to do.
starter solenoid is on top of starter
starter is at the bottom of motor on the right side.
i think that is what is making the click
there is a downloadable manual on idk postings if u can not find it i will try tomorrow.
the old rocket did this all the time yours is the first new one i have heard of.
Thanks for letting me know the starter motors location. If older model Rockets did that maybe it runs in the family. :)

Next time it does that I will jump the battery with another so I can eliminate the battery although am confident that is not the issue.
Anyone knows where the starter and the solenoid are located?
Kind of wish there was a workshop manual I could buy so can locate where things are and how to get to them. I went to order a second Key Fob at the dealer and at the same time talked to the service advisor, his comment was Triumph's and their electrical issues. Also said no one that they know has had a similar issue. He also felt there was no way I could roll start the beast. :)

Manual is here...

Back