Are Triumph Rockets reliable?

Ice

.020 Over
Ride
2019 HD Breakout and 2022 R3 GT 221
I currently own both a 2019 HD Breakout and a 2019 HD Fatboy. Instead of spending $10k to upgrade to a Stage 4 kit, I put a deposit on a 2022 R3 GT 221 Model. After reading theses R3 forums I’m thinking I made a mistake. I live in a Chicago suburb with two Triumph dealers within 15-miles. Is it just because people with various problems are on these forums complaining about the R3 or are they unreliable. Does anyone ride a R3 without problems? I love the look and specs of the R3 but I don’t want a bike that’s going to spend most of the time in the shop. The 221 won’t be delivered until May 2022. Should I cancel the purchase and just stick with Harley?

Updated 5/27/22: After 1,600-miles I’m glad that I didn’t cancel the R3. So far, it’s been great and mostly problem free. A small crack (see below) developed on the bottom portion of the TFT screen and I have a claim into Triumph about it. I’m also waiting for a new left turn signal that had a factory defect (see below). Now when I go riding I prefer the R3 over my HD Breakout because of the increased power and torque.
C5E550CB-6CC6-4E39-A196-49430C3DC7E9.jpeg

Last edited:
Oh, I'll go first....

I've ridden the older generation Roadster for about 65,000 miles now over the past 4.5 years. As a result of my experience with that bike I have a nearly new red Rocket 3R in transit coming my way and it should arrive by Friday. I think what you're seeing is not so much complaints as information sharing and problem solving. There was a recall on the back braking system of some early models (not good), but the next thing I see that I would consider a "complaint" is with the FOB and there are solutions and videos posted on that. Next, the panniers....

I think you'll be hard pressed to find many, if any, riders here who actually regret their purchase and none who would trade for a Harley. The Rocket (old and new) is a very unique performance bike and you may have to look far and wide to find someone else riding one, much less wearing a T-shirt about it. Is that a bad thing? Well, that depends on why you ride. Sorry, I think I got off track. Short answer is that gremlins aside, if you go through with the purchase you're going to rediscover what riding is really all about and never want to look back. Btw, welcome to the asylum.

Please define "reliable." If you're asking about breakdowns that leave you stranded on the road, then I would contend the bike is super reliable. If you're referring to glitches and issues that are correctable then it may have "reliability" issues. I bought a new 05 in 2006 and traded it this year after many thousands of miles (well over 60). It never broke down or failed. The reason I traded it was I wasn't riding it in Metroplex traffic and eventually (2 years of sitting) the gas went bad in the tank. That's on me not the bike.

I bitc* and complain about the problems I have with my Rocket all of which will be taken care of by my warranty but I couldn't imagine not having my GT. They do have their problems like any other bike but I'm 100% happy with it and don't regret my purchase in the least. I have had 3 HD's motorcycles (and a Topper, a blast by the way) and enjoyed them but they don't come close to the excitement of riding the Rocket. Totally different animal but the purchase is up to you (and your Parole officer.) Cheers.:thumbsup:

I currently own both a 2019 HD Breakout and a 2019 HD Fatboy. Instead of spending $10k to upgrade to a Stage 4 kit, I put a deposit on a 2022 R3 GT 221 Model. After reading theses R3 forums I’m thinking I made a mistake. I live in a Chicago suburb with two Triumph dealers within 15-miles. Is it just because people with various problems are on these forums complaining about the R3 or are they unreliable. Does anyone ride a R3 without problems? I love the look and specs of the R3 but I don’t want a bike that’s going to spend most of the time in the shop. The 221 won’t be delivered until May 2022. Should I cancel the purchase and just stick with Harley?

I cannot speak for the 2nd generation Rockets, since I have a 2016 Roadster, but i see only minor quibbles about the new Rockets on this forum. I upgraded from a Harley myself back in 2018 and frankly would never go back. No Harley can match the performance and handling of the rocket and the 2nd generation has much improved handling. Personally, I've had zero issues with mine and that's after upgrading the exhaust, intake, tuning and other odds and ends. I do most of my own wrenching, so I'm not concerned about having a dealer close by and I'm meticulous about maintenance/ changing fluids. I'd like to take the Gen 2 rocket for a test ride and see how it compares, but I only have 15k on the clock, so I don't plan on an upgrade anytime soon. As a point of reference, my one buddy has a CVO street glide, which the 117 which grenaded last spring. He upgraded to an S&S 124 and still cannot touch the Rocket.

How ya doin Ice.....I have had 4 Rockets now and have NEVER had any mechanical problems. I recently had some exhaust work done and the engineer who was working on my GT said in all the years he has worked on all makes of bikes, he has never seen a better finished or constructed machine. All the bolts that hold everything together are top grade. That comment gave me confidence in my bike....its good to know an Engineer thinks that. As far as performance and comfort i'm pretty sure you will be smiling after a just a few miles...Carry on and pull the trigger....Good Luck...and welcome.

Back