For Sale anyone need a vintage Goldwing?

geneseo1911

Naturally Aspirated
Ride
2007 Rocket Classic, 2018 Rocket Roadster
This is the ad copy I've been using . I've been listing her for $2500 but would take less. Doubt if anyone on here is interested, but you never know. Maybe somebody has a buddy with a burning desire to own an old GL.

Offered for sale: 1978 Honda GL1000, better known as a first generation Goldwing.

The early 'Wings were sold as 'standard' motorcycles, and were often outfitted with aftermarket bags and fairings. This bike is what is referred to as a 'naked Goldwing', sans fairings and bags, and looking much more muscular with the 4 cylinder boxer engine prominently sticking out both sides of the bike.

This bike is not light, but the weight is down low, so it is very manageable and it handles quite well. The 1000cc engine is quite capable of pulling the weight, and it is a very fun machine. Shaft drive makes it low maintenance. Change the oil and adjust the points once a year and she'll run a long time. It is also a conversation starter, as you just don't see them around, and it is very distinctive.

I bought this one as a basket case in 2001. I went completely through it as I put it back together replacing and refurbishing parts as necessary. I put about 15,000 miles on it as my primary transportation in college, but it got parked after I graduated and started a family. Last summer, I got it out to sell it, but once I got it running, the riding bug bit me again and I put about 2000 miles on it before buying another bike. At this point, I don't need 2 street bikes, so it's time for the GL to find a new home.

Before I started riding the bike, I again went totally through it to make sure it was safe and did the following work in July '15:

-Replaced timing belts and idlers
-Replaced tires and tubes
-Replaced battery
-Rebuilt carbs with Randakk kit, and synchronized
-Adjusted points
-Replaced front brake lines with braided stainless
-Rebuilt both master cylinders and all 3 calipers
-Replaced brake pads
-Installed LED driving lights with modulator from Skene designs, as well as Skene P3 auxiliary brake lights
-Installed higher wattage headlight bulb
-Installed new mirrors
-Replaced leaking final drive with good used unit
-Installed Hella Supertone horns
-Replaced fan switch
-Replaced Fuel Filter
-Changed all Fluids
-Adjusted valves

This got her running better than she ever had while in my care, and I rode her everywhere. I would not be afraid to take this bike across the country tomorrow. I was so convinced I was going to keep it that I spent the money on a new Corbin 'gunfighter' seat ($453), which makes all day rides no problem.

I spent around $2000 on getting this machine road ready just a year ago, so while I would like to get her sold, I don't want to give her away. The bike is currently licensed and insured, so I will continue to ride it once and a while until sold. You will not find another 40 year old motorcycle that is as road ready, safe, and reliable as this one. I am also including two service manuals, and the fairing seen in a couple of the photos. Other features you will notice are the engine guards, saddlebags, and aftermarket exhaust. The exhaust is throaty without being loud. The tires are Shinko Tourmasters, which show almost no wear.

IMG_1729.JPG

IMG_20160801_173315717.jpg

ahhh, those were the days... one of my buddies bought one of these and stripped it down, hotted it up as much as possible (4-1 pipe, jetting) and then used to bunny hop it down vannuys blvd on cruise night... those early drive shafts were something else...

You really cleaned it up. I had an 85 GL1100 that was not near as clean as this one. What are you asking for it.

I'd probably take 2K for it, especially from someone who would ride it and not break it up and sell the parts on ebay. It looks better in the pictures than in real life. There's chips in the paint, and the chrome is 35 years old. It does look pretty darn good from 5' away though. About like my rocket, it's a rider, not a show queen.

I'd probably take 2K for it, especially from someone who would ride it and not break it up and sell the parts on ebay. It looks better in the pictures than in real life. There's chips in the paint, and the chrome is 35 years old. It does look pretty darn good from 5' away though. About like my rocket, it's a rider, not a show queen.
I'd consider it if I were closer, but alas.

What a beauty! I used to have an old mid 80s 1100 wing. I really loved that bike. IMHO, you've done an outstanding job of restoring her to her former glory with just the right amount of upgrades. Anyone that would not be proud to cruise around on her needs a serious slap in the head...lol

Just out of curiosity, I have 2 questions:

First, I'm not seeing any pics of the fairing in your post. Would you mind posting a few more pics including one with the fairing in it?

Second, any idea what it would cost to ship it to Washington state, specifically zip code 98512?

If you lived up this way i would definatly consider it, i sold my 83 1100 last year and it had 550,000Km on it and still ran great, never any problem, only sold it because i got my hands on an 89 GL1500 for a great price and i won't part with that one. It will end up taking a back seat t to the Triumph this year, but at least i have it if i need it

This is the exact bike I was riding in the early 90's... great to see one in good condition. 2k USD is a bargain for a rolling legend like this, unfortunately I'm on the other side of the ocean.

Back