Anyone in NY have work done by Dan Thayer

Dyno tuning

Let me know how it goes.
I may do the same, he,s not that far from me in Ontario.

Still a Horley guy tho.....

Any of you guys in NY ever have any work done by Dan?
He is coming highly recommended for his Dyno knowledge.
I am dropping my bike off to him this weekend to have him see what he can do to get the most out of it.

THAYERS SALES & SERVICE CORFU, NY (585) 762-4705

Don't know exactly where you are relative to me, but the Dynojet guy I am using right now is Ray Hulton,,,,,a young tech, but smart and willing to learn NEW things. My Rocket was the first on his dyne and he admitted that its totally different than tuning a AIR COOLED V-TWIN. I know my bike was lean and sure enough it was especially past the 40% tps mark. He knew this and (as I was standing beside him) warned me that he really didn't want to do a third baseline run. I told him to go ahead. I am the chief wrench on mine so at that point the risk was in my pocket. At some points my bike was running as lean as 17.5:1. Ray said afterward that he had seen several Harleys that approached that mixture and had simply fallen on their face....not even driveable. He was VERY impressed by the driveability of the stock triumph tune and the fact that, with the mods I had already done,,,,and the lean condition I induced, that it ran as strong as it did. With no change to the stock tune it produced over 140 '/lb of torque at under 2500rpm,,,,,he was amazed.
I don't know your tuner, but if he even tries to relate the tuning effects of a Harley or other air cooled v-twin to the tuning capability of the rocket,,,he is going in the wrong direction. I am using the dyno for the ability to tune the ignition map without having to quess at it. I don't mind putzing with fuel maps but the ignition map is a very touchy thing and can damage an engine within seconds if improperly done. So,,,,,all that being said,,,if your tuner (who sounds like he is harley oriented also) is smart and willing to learn,,,,then he will probably be using your ride as his experiment and hopefully do a fine job for you.
My dyno service is Ray&Lisa Hulten www.hultenspeedsports.com They are located in St. Johnsville NY (just about dead center upstate NY)

Let us know how yours turns out....hopefully with some figures along with it.

I have never been there, but he is HIGHLY RESPECTED around here, I live about 15 miles away from Corfu.

I have never been there, but he is HIGHLY RESPECTED around here, I live about 15 miles away from Corfu.

Yeh, but if he only has harley experience.............. it will be a whole 'nother world for him. I like to experiment myself,,,,but really HATE it when someone uses me for the experiment, if you get the drift.
As an example: I was really into snowmobile drags and all sorts of perf for the old school fan and free-air sleds. When the liquids first made their entry into snowmobile racing many of the chief wrenches had to throw out just about everything they had ever learned about those old machines. Can't even find a "performance" air cooled sled anymore unless its at a vintage show.
I was not implying that this guy doesnt know his stuff, just that if he professes to be a dyno guru,,,that does not necessarily mean he is equally "expert" on something he has never even run on his dyno.
I work everyday on late model vehicles and I know and love nearly all GM V8 GAS engines. I am obligated to work on the occasional Diesel,,,,,,BUT I do not profess to be a Diesel performance expert,,,,nor do I want to be. My point being,,,someone could say they took their Diesel to me and I installed a programmer and big turbo kit and that I am a Diesel guru........NOPE....I can read and follow basic directions. Just because someone has done a couple hundred harley tunes, does NOT make him a Triumph Rocket super tuner. Ray flat out told me he expects to be doing more performance tunes for liquid bikes, and was very interested in the prospect of having one to play with on the dyno. The fact that he didn't come off as an "expert" at all sorts of tune combinations meant a lot to me (as a fellow technician). Maybe I'm a bit too cautious, but there are a lot of people out there willing to take your money for little or no return value.:(:(

Back