He has to take a trip south to Lake Tekapo and Lake Pukaki and Mt Cook national Park in the MacKenzie country...its only about 1 1/2 to 2hrs from Ashburton. Well worth a look around this area.
I am in Christchurch and we visit friends in Tekapo often.

As Tal said very nice up that way. I'm sure that his mate will have something planned. Christchurch city is worth a look at the rebuild of the Central business district. Maybe even a drive through what is call the red zone. An area of housing brought by the government after Earthquakes in 2010 & 2011 and cleared of 7000 houses. Check it out Google Earth.

North Island for me too sorry, but from South originally, as the guys above say he should go further South, Geraldine,Lake Tekapo, Mt Cook, down through the dams, only downside is the long straights (but not long and straight like the US) Ashburton to Timaru, depending which loop you go.

Also Arthur's Pass to the West Coast is a good road and they have Keas (hilarious big green parrots that rip bits off your car/bike).

Just occurred to me, we're good at naming stuff here, North Island, South Island, West Coast... ;) no place I'd rather be tho.

Back