Anyone around SE QLD to help me with test riding a R3R?

shadowarrior

.020 Over
Ride
Kawasaki ZRX1200S
Hey Guys,

I went to Ducati Gold Coast (Lawrence Drive, Neerang) this morning to test ride a R3R. Been out of the saddle for 3 years it felt bit odd and I guess I will need to spend some more time with it to get used to its handling. Apart from that, the bike felt and looked great!

Am pretty close to signing the papers, but I would love to have a second set of eyes look at the R3R to make me feel more confident.

Wrecka is busy with work from Monday, and same for me till the next weekend. But I can take time off and go back to the dealer if someone is free on Monday or during the week.

I live in Ormeau Hills, so if anyone lives close by, I'd really appreciate the help. I am happy to pick you up on my way to the dealer. Also a six pack of beer your way as a token of thanks! :)

Thanks in advance!

Shame you did not contact me yesterday would have given me an excuse to stay another day up there

Shame you did not contact me yesterday would have given me an excuse to stay another day up there

Oh crap!
I had been planning for the test ride from last weekend. And I was following your trip on the RDU16 thread!! I should have started a thread here earlier, stupid me! :(

hey mate how'd did you go with that r3r? was it the 2014 with 40k's?

That's the one; is a 2013 manufacture though, first purchase was 2013 October I think.
I will go there again this weekend, work in Brissy so couldn't go there over the week. Did you look at it before?

Yeah mate, took it for a spin just around Nerang there. Found it had a fair front wheel wobble when I went down hill with no hands (I like to stretch doing about 30-40ks) sort of freaked me a bit had to grab the handlebars real quick, couldn't see any sort of tyre wear or damage to the front rim maybe the steering bearingS are worn, when I asked the dealer he said all bikes do that when you take your hands of the wheel to which I said then maybe there is something wrong with my wife little Suzuki intruder cause it doesn't do that. He did say he would get the mechanics to check it out if I brought it. Maybe take it out on the Hwy to open it up a bit South to Worongary exit and then come back to the Nerang exit as I only went around the back roads and check it out. Just be careful if you take your hands of the bars at low speed anyway. hope this helps

Thanks mate. I did take it out for a spin last weekend, but only the back roads, but didn't take my hands off. I was trying to see if the gearbox shifted to 4th and 5th fine on load.

My zrx doesn't wobble, nor did my zx6, or any of the bikes I owned previously, unless it hit a pebble or hit a dip which initiated the wobble.

Thanks for the heads up mate, much appreciated. Am not a fan of their asking price, else I was close to signing the papers last weekend.

I'll keep looking :) Announcing those new bobbers is making this even more hard, I want both now :p

My R3R does not wobble when no hands. Steering bearing adjustment I would think.
BTW no hands not the best practice but we all know this

Last edited:
General question about the Rockets (not related to this bike), how common are steering head bearings to be worn out, or would it be adjustment mainly? I had to replace them ages back on a CBR250 and it cost me around $300 to fix some 5 years back including labour.

What would be the main causes of steering head bearing damage?

Mine is 5Yrs 6 mths old, 24000km. No steering issues when I take both hands off, only has a slight pull to the left. I did get some front break shudder when applying the front breaks going down the Toowoomba range but as soon as I fitted new pads the condition disappeared.

Back