Anybody lowered floorboards?

DodahMan

Turbocharged
Ride
Yamaha Roadstar, 2011 Triumph Rocket III Tour
The R3 tour is a beauty, but a tad too crowded for me. If I could lower the floorboards a inch or so and perhaps more forward then get some kind of "Harley like" tall boy seat, THEN it just might fit me well. For such a beast of a bike, it felt small as far as fit goes. Harley's are the same way for me. Road Glide is the only thing that fits.

Anybody done this mod? Do you think it is possible?

The R3 tour is a beauty, but a tad too crowded for me. If I could lower the floorboards a inch or so and perhaps more forward then get some kind of "Harley like" tall boy seat, THEN it just might fit me well. For such a beast of a bike, it felt small as far as fit goes. Harley's are the same way for me. Road Glide is the only thing that fits.

Anybody done this mod? Do you think it is possible?
Consider opting for 1 inch longer shocks, it will also help your fit.

What @ToledoBendTom said . . . or raise your seat.
Me reckons that lowered boards, especiqally on a Touring, would be a hazard!

Fail to see how taller shocks help with riding position.

Have teh seat altered to sit further back and up - think then about handlebar position. But I would suggest a chat with the boobie man @BigNorm

Could be done as long as you do not take the curves aggressively
We measured the distance of the boards on both bikes and my 99 Roadstar boards were 1.5in lower to the ground. That thing is naturally a low slung machine and the boards do scrape occasionally but never been a problem for me. The R3T is indeed taller than the R* by quite a bit and I noticed how the R* does have a lower CG than the R3T. The mounts seem to be an easy project. An inch here, an inch there, and I might just get it done. 6'5" 280 and 60 years old . . . friends say I need a Goldwing but I am not comfortable on them either.

Lower boards = less angle.
I can't see the R3T taking any aggressive lines anyway given what it is, that would be asking for an accident. In my younger years I rode a GS1150e and in the early 80s there was nothing that could touch it. Plus it cornered curves and switchbacks like a sharp knive. Anybody would have to be insane to try to ride a heavy monster like the R3 in similar fashion. Plenty of fools have lost it riding the mountains of TN, VA, and NC (especially the dragon). I have seen it, I don't want to be one of them.

What @ToledoBendTom said . . . or raise your seat.
Me reckons that lowered boards, especiqally on a Touring, would be a hazard!
Having been on the R* riders forum for years, I have seen guys make a lot of floorboard changes. I never did, but they were indeed pretty far forward by design. Seems the Rockets mere made for normal sized folks even they are behemoth machines. This was the first chance I had to directly compare the two bikes and that R3T made my roadstar look like a minibike. Much taller, higher cg, and the boards 1.5 in taller. I think a fabricating a mount 1 inch lower would not make any difference at all. I can't imagine the R3 cutting lean angles like a sportbike.

Back