Anybody else go to Pirate Con...errr, I mean Bike Week?

SausageCreature

.020 Over
Ride
2006 R3 Classic
The wife and I took the Rocket down to Daytona for the second weekend of Bike Week. We stayed at a quaint B&B right on the intracoastal waterway in New Smyrna Beach. Met up with my brother and an old friend of his, each on Triumphs. My bro has a first-gen Hinckley Bonneville, his friend has an America. All three bikes performed flawlessly, and unlike past tours on sport bikes, the Rocket scarcely even noticed that my wife and our luggage were there.

My wife and I stayed at a B&B in New Smyrna Beach. If you ever go to Bike Week, NSB isn't a bad choice for lodging. It's only 10-12 miles or so from Daytona Beach proper, room prices are slightly less, and there are far fewer open pipe HD's and sport bikes roaring around (still a few though). Lots of good restaurants, too...private ones, not TGI O'Tuesdays chain restaurant garbage.

I was extremely disappointed to learn that Triumph had no official presence at the track this year...or none that I could find, at least. I was bummed, because I really wanted to check out the complete Bonneville line, and maybe a T-Bird or two. I read a little while ago, that Triumph doesn't really do the whole demo thing anymore, which is curious. Indian, by comparison, had a large presence (nearly as large as Honda and HD) at the track with demo rides and several bikes on display, even though they basically only have two model platforms.

So we tried our luck up at the BMW/Ducati/Triumph dealership a few miles away, only to discover they are now a BMW/Ducati dealership...they recently dropped Triumphs altogether. When asked, the sales manager said they no longer cared to deal with the restrictions placed on them by Triumph corporate or the arrogant behavior of factory reps.

Note to Triumph HQ...you might sell more bikes here in the states if you bothered to, you know, actually promote them. And maybe stop being such dicks to the dealerships. Just a thought.

I don't work for Triumph; but when it comes to dealers, demos, and shows there is usually two sides to the story.
  • Triumph would sell more bikes if they attended shows, but the outside world doesn't realize how small the organization actually is.
  • There are other manufacturers selling two-wheeled machines and making serious profit, without having to be involved in the biker community.
  • Dealers have to possess a serious amount of motivation and have a solid business plan to move units. The Harley Dealer may have more margin built into each sale, but they are also doing serious marketing and event planning to keep the sales going. It's crazy the money they spend, but it's still something that HD appears to be best suited for.
  • The motorcycle show events are difficult to justify, doing a string of them will seriously impact the profit margin of most distributors/dealers.
  • Dealers and Manufacturer Reps struggle with the skills needed to conduct productive business-planning meetings. I've talked with participants from both sides and usually don't see sufficient strategy.
Despite what participants are doing right/wrong, if the business plan isn't made neither side can live on what they lose.

The wife and I took the Rocket down to Daytona for the second weekend of Bike Week. We stayed at a quaint B&B right on the intracoastal waterway in New Smyrna Beach. Met up with my brother and an old friend of his, each on Triumphs. My bro has a first-gen Hinckley Bonneville, his friend has an America. All three bikes performed flawlessly, and unlike past tours on sport bikes, the Rocket scarcely even noticed that my wife and our luggage were there.

My wife and I stayed at a B&B in New Smyrna Beach. If you ever go to Bike Week, NSB isn't a bad choice for lodging. It's only 10-12 miles or so from Daytona Beach proper, room prices are slightly less, and there are far fewer open pipe HD's and sport bikes roaring around (still a few though). Lots of good restaurants, too...private ones, not TGI O'Tuesdays chain restaurant garbage.

I was extremely disappointed to learn that Triumph had no official presence at the track this year...or none that I could find, at least. I was bummed, because I really wanted to check out the complete Bonneville line, and maybe a T-Bird or two. I read a little while ago, that Triumph doesn't really do the whole demo thing anymore, which is curious. Indian, by comparison, had a large presence (nearly as large as Honda and HD) at the track with demo rides and several bikes on display, even though they basically only have two model platforms.

So we tried our luck up at the BMW/Ducati/Triumph dealership a few miles away, only to discover they are now a BMW/Ducati dealership...they recently dropped Triumphs altogether. When asked, the sales manager said they no longer cared to deal with the restrictions placed on them by Triumph corporate or the arrogant behavior of factory reps.

Note to Triumph HQ...you might sell more bikes here in the states if you bothered to, you know, actually promote them. And maybe stop being such dicks to the dealerships. Just a thought.

You came from Alaska and did not stop at any Triumph Dealership's along the way?

I don't work for Triumph; but when it comes to dealers, demos, and shows there is usually two sides to the story.
  • Triumph would sell more bikes if they attended shows, but the outside world doesn't realize how small the organization actually is.
  • There are other manufacturers selling two-wheeled machines and making serious profit, without having to be involved in the biker community.
  • Dealers have to possess a serious amount of motivation and have a solid business plan to move units. The Harley Dealer may have more margin built into each sale, but they are also doing serious marketing and event planning to keep the sales going. It's crazy the money they spend, but it's still something that HD appears to be best suited for.
  • The motorcycle show events are difficult to justify, doing a string of them will seriously impact the profit margin of most distributors/dealers.
  • Dealers and Manufacturer Reps struggle with the skills needed to conduct productive business-planning meetings. I've talked with participants from both sides and usually don't see sufficient strategy.
Despite what participants are doing right/wrong, if the business plan isn't made neither side can live on what they lose.
WELL THEY JUST TOLD US THEY INCREASED SALES BY38 PERCENT LAST YEAR

Triumph pulled out of a bunch of dealerships this past year.
Here in Spain - Many marques have recently had a serious bought of dropping and appointing dealers.
I have a mate who the Piaggio group want to sell their bikes - currently he is running a repair shop. 100% factory supported.
I've seen the turnover required to be a dealer. I'm not surprised he has so far resisted sales.

The market is not that good right now and getting a decent share of what there is takes more than just bikes.
It takes local know how and focus. A mass of older style dealers simply cannot keep up. Sadly.
I don't know Triumph's margins but here they certainly make their money from the smaller sportier beasties. And that means competing with the Big Japanese 4.
Triumph Spain HQ is not far from me - but it's an anonymous office - no showroom.

In case anybody from Triumph (es) is reading - Bikers want to be able to ride to and park outside bike shops - natter and maybe have a drink.
They are not inclined to visit "Gucci-esque" emporiums in city centres - where traffic and poor parking is a norm. Just my 0.02.

I purchased my 2016 R3R from Sturgess cycle in Hamilton Ontario Canada. They represent Triumph, Kawasaki, Honda and MV Augusta, are a 1st class dealership and very customer focussed.

Got mine from GP bikes, i think they are doing fine regarding pushing the brand. Sure their floor has Ducattis mostly on the lion share of their flooring but triumph has a decently sized portion too. Didnt they have a show at Massey Hall to showcase the new bonnevilles not too long ago? Granted not sure if it was a dealer in particular or Corporate Triumph organized... Still yeah not showing for such a major event... is kinda weak.

Back