Any issues with 2011 Rocket Touring??

JamiePT

.060 Over
Ride
Triumph Rocket Roadster 2014
Hi everyone. I am currrenty considering buying a Rocket. I have been looking at the Roadster primarily. I prefer the looks of the naked bike. I planed to put Viking bags and a windshield for trips and leave it stripped down most of the time.

The touring model was not as aestheticly appealing to me.

HOWEVER .... I stopped in to a HD dealer today who carries a bunch of used bikes from all the manafactuers and they have a Rocket Touring. It looks well used but pretty clean fit the age and miles. I am not sure but I think I may like the touring.

2011 with 27,000 miles. They want $9999.00. The price seems a little high since you can find the same bike new for about 13K.

Does anyone know if this bike has ABS? Any issues I should be wary of? What if anything should I be on the look out for?

I plan on giving it a test ride next week.

Thanks,

Jamie.

I doubt that a 2011 would have ABS, they were supposed to be standard in 2013 but guess which one didn't get it......mine! And a few others slipped through the cracks. That said, all Rockets are durable bikes, and 27,000 is hardly broke in. The touring has more torque but less overall horsepower, but you would find that perfectly fitting for a touring bike, and it will still go like a scalded dog. It will come down to where you see yourself riding in due time. I like to take long trips with multiple overnights, so touring is for me.....Strap a Tbag to the sissy bar with personal effects, and fill the saddlebags with rain and safety gear and off we go! You might like that sort of riding and the touring will do you well, but maybe you'd like to do your own farkles, leather bags, a windshield, whatever....then the Roadster will give you the best of both worlds. Consider your main use, and choose but whichever way you go, you will have a super duper bike!

9999 dollars is a touch high....try talking them down some and if that don't work, sit back and wait or go for a Roadster.

Welcome Jamie,

Just some random thoughts as I sit here.

First off, you could do a lot worse than a R3. Second you can probably do a lot better on the price by watching and waiting. I have a feeling the HD place gave the previous owner an inflated trade in in order to move him to a HD and are now trying to recoup their money. Just the first thing I thought of.

I don't believe it will have ABS, IIRC the R3T didn't start getting ABS until 2013 and then not all of them were equipped.

I can't think of any real issues with the 2011 you need to be worried about.

I am sure other will be along with their thoughts soon.

bob

Welcome Jamie,

Just some random thoughts as I sit here.

First off, you could do a lot worse than a R3. Second you can probably do a lot better on the price by watching and waiting. I have a feeling the HD place gave the previous owner an inflated trade in in order to move him to a HD and are now trying to recoup their money. Just the first thing I thought of.

I don't believe it will have ABS, IIRC the R3T didn't start getting ABS until 2013 and then not all of them were equipped.

I can't think of any real issues with the 2011 you need to be worried about.

I am sure other will be along with their thoughts soon.

bob
Thanks for the input.

G'day Jamie, the 2011 R3T has ABS mine has anyway, Beauty is in the eye of the beholder , for me I never thought of buying a rocket before the Touring was produced purely on the looks of the other models, with a bit of a tweak the touring can be just as quick as the other models and for longer trips IMHO far more comfortable also a bonus for me the pillion has a more comfortable riding position , but either way a rocket is a good alternative to the other big bike that the lemmings all aspire to own "to be different" but turn into clones of the HD market image of a Biker, my advice is ride both and you will know what suits your needs,:thumbsup::thumbsup:

G'day Jamie, the 2011 R3T has ABS mine has anyway, Beauty is in the eye of the beholder , for me I never thought of buying a rocket before the Touring was produced purely on the looks of the other models, with a bit of a tweak the touring can be just as quick as the other models and for longer trips IMHO far more comfortable also a bonus for me the pillion has a more comfortable riding position , but either way a rocket is a good alternative to the other big bike that the lemmings all aspire to own "to be different" but turn into clones of the HD market image of a Biker, my advice is ride both and you will know what suits your needs,:thumbsup::thumbsup:

Thanks for the info. Is there any way to tell if the bike has ABS? As you can imagine the Harley guys are pretty clueless about Triumph products.

There will be hall effect doodads on or near the rotors and some wires leading up the fork from there. Similar on the rear too but harder to ogle with the panniers in the way.

1. There were some 2011 units with ABS.

2. To see if you've got one, turn on the ignition and look for the amber light. Or, look for a slotted disk and sensor. Honestly though, the light is the best indicator. I've seen bikes with the slotted disk that did not actually have the sensor.

1. There were some 2011 units with ABS.

2. To see if you've got one, turn on the ignition and look for the amber light. Or, look for a slotted disk and sensor. Honestly though, the light is the best indicator. I've seen bikes with the slotted disk that did not actually have the sensor.

Thanks if anyone could add a picture of this amber light that would be awesome

Thanks if anyone could add a picture of this amber light that would be awesome

It's the amber "ABS" warning light inside the spedo that comes on when you turn the thing on. exactly like the ABS warning light you'd see on a car's dash.

And although I think that $10k is worth it, it is NOT a competitive price AT ALL. If you absolutely must have a rocket NOW and you can afford it, you won't regret it. If you can wait, definitely wait for a better deal...

Back