droopidraws

.020 Over
Is anyone using another brand anti-freeze other than Triumph's, my dealer doesn't carry it and when I asked what their mechanics are using, I got this :confused: or it might be blue. Any help appreciated, thanks.

Color is unimportant...Just ask Obama.

Triumph uses a proprietary Mobil, blue colored antifreeze..

Page 12.4 of the OEM Shop manual states:

Coolant:
An all-seasons type of anti-freeze is installed in the cooling system when the motorcycle leaves the factory. It is coloured blue..... (I love the English verbage)..., contains a 50% solution of ethylene glycol and has a freezing point of -35 degrees centigrade or -31 degrees farenheit.

Any ethylene glycol or propolyene glycol (if you prefer the enviromentally friendly stuff) will work just fine, green, blue or red, it's just dye. All antifreeze sold over the counter today has corrosion inhibitors and is perfectly safe for aluminum and alloy engines.

Extended life is a no-no. Extended life is a synthetic formula and will turn to a gooey sludge if mixed with ethylene/propolyene glycol.

Even though the factory don't suggest it, because the engine is wet linered, I'd suggest adding potassium permagnate in solution with deionized water in the antifreeze. You can readily purchase it as Cummins Engine Specification DCA 4 precharge. A single bottle should provide more than adequate protection.

thank's a lot Flip, I really appreciate it, trying to figure out what good my dealer is.

Actually, I always try to support my local dealer. My problem is my local dealer went tits up so I now have a not so local, local dealer. Of course I do have a local Kawasaki Deaker so I support him by buying filters and such for my KLR.

Just one thing though for us in the hot part of the country, I have found by personal experience that if you add water wetter to the anti freeze the old girl will run a bout 10 degrees cooler.

I changed my anti-freeze this spring and used Sylkolene. Its blue also and is silicate free for motorcycles.l I got it at my local bike shop I think it was right next to the little skull heads with light up eyes.:D Its cost 9.99 a litre (ouch), but its good stuff.

You didn't get the skull head with light up eyes?

I changed my anti-freeze this spring and used Sylkolene. Its blue also and is silicate free for motorcycles.l I got it at my local bike shop I think it was right next to the little skull heads with light up eyes.:D Its cost 9.99 a litre (ouch), but its good stuff.

Just one thing though for us in the hot part of the country, I have found by personal experience that if you add water wetter to the anti freeze the old girl will run a bout 10 degrees cooler.
I too use a water wetter product (Proline). I chose early this summer to try less wetter to distilled water ratio and found the same 10 degree or better cooler running temperature (as measured by oil temp). At the same time I eliminated the anti-freeze/boil-over additive; but, to my dismay I had a couple upchucks (puke tank over flows) by a few ounces only. It's less than a month before another change is due (have to add antifreeze). I'll stay with the 1/2 strength ratio.

Back