ANOTHER TRIP FOR THE ROCKET

LAS VEGAS DAVE

Turbocharged
Ride
V8 CHOPPER, BOSS HOSS, 2015 ROCKET 3 TOURING
We are going on another motorcycle trip about the end of May and decided to use the Rocket. I have ridden our Boss Hoss all over the western states but the Rocket only has one trip from Las Vegas to Oregon under its belt. This time we ride from Vegas to Northern California for a visit and then to two different spots in Oregon for visits. After we leave Oregon we will go to Reno Nevada for a visit, next stop is in Idaho for a visit and then another visit in Colorado. When we leave Colorado we head to Oklahoma and Joplin Mo for another visit. After that we ride back to Las Vegas. I only have 6000 miles on the bike right now and the back tire looks pretty good. How many miles do you guys get on a rear tire. There is a great Triumph shop in Reno that I could have service my bike at and get a new rear tire put on at the same time while we visit but the tire will only have a little over 7000 miles on it at that time. Maybe I should just wait till I get back to Vegas. In any event the weather should be nice in late May and early June so I'm looking forward to the trip. My wife is riding with me and another old friend on his Harley. I have had such good luck with the Rocket so far and find I am spoiled by the cruise control which is the big PLUS over the Boss Hoss which just has a wrist gizmo that it was the MAIN reason I chose the Rocket for this trip. Both bikes are comfortable for long trips with a slight edge going to the Boss Hoss because of its weight. Its always great to be going for a ride.

Ride safe Dave ,as for the rear tyre the rear Avon Cobra on my R3T that is in the "surgical ward" at the moment has over 19000Klms on it and is just down to the wear bars on one side but almost gone on the other when it recovers and my Son is riding it, another Avon Cobra will be fitted :)

You can look me up when you are in Oklahoma. I am in northwest Oklahoma PM me if you want to get together

I will be in Miami Oklahoma very near Joplin, that is the North East part. You may be to far away. Regretfully I am on somewhat of a schedule and have 11 days from when I leave Oregon going to Reno.

Ride safe Dave ,as for the rear tyre the rear Avon Cobra on my R3T that is in the "surgical ward" at the moment has over 19000Klms on it and is just down to the wear bars on one side but almost gone on the other when it recovers and my Son is riding it, another Avon Cobra will be fitted :)

WOW, you have 12000 plus miles on your tire. I don't think I will worry about a tire till I get back.

Dave assuming it is the OEM Metz ME880 it will run out tread very soon. It would be wise to replace that tire when in Reno or here in Idaho. It will be expensive in Reno to have Freedom Cycle install a new tire. Wherever you replace the tire, I suggest the Avon Cobra. They are great performing tires. You will be very happy with the ride quality and greatly improved handling.

FYI: If you purchase a front and rear tire from Rocky Mountain ATV in Utah and have them shipped to my house in Nampa, ID. I can have them installed at our local Triumph dealer for a very reasonable price. The Avon Cobras are on sale until the end of April. The front sized a little smaller than standard for better handling and turn in is 140/75R17 67V at $106.88 and the standard rear size 240/50VR16 84V at $203.88. I have a set on order for myself.

BTW: Freedom Triumph Reno is where I bought my Rocket. They are great folks.

Last edited:
Dave assuming it is the OEM Metz ME880 it will run out tread very soon. It would be wise to replace that tire when in Reno or here in Idaho. It will be expensive in Reno to have Freedom Cycle install a new tire. Wherever you replace the tire, I suggest the Avon Cobra. They are great performing tires. You will be very happy with the ride quality and greatly improved handling.

FYI: If you purchase a front and rear tire from Rocky Mountain ATV in Utah and have them shipped to my house in Nampa, ID. I can have them installed at our local Triumph dealer for a very reasonable price. The Avon Cobras are on sale until the end of April. The front sized a little smaller than standard for better handling and turn in is 140/75R17 67V at $106.88 and the standard rear size 240/50VR16 84V at $203.88. I have a set on order for myself.

BTW: Freedom Triumph Reno is where I bought my Rocket. They are great folks.

I am sort of of on a tighter schedule than I normally like because my friend of 57 years who is riding with us on his bike only has two weeks off thats why I thought Brad at Freedom Cycle would be good because he could do it while we are visiting our friend in Reno. I trust Freedom Cycle. You are right my Rocket has Metzlers on it. I run a Metzler front tires on the Boss Hoss and get good mileage from it. I run an AVON on the rear of the Boss Hoss. I DO REALLY APPRECIATE THE OFFER FROM YOU

Back