Another stupid question: photo of the timing mark ?

Joesmoe

IMOKUR2
Ride
Triumph: 2014 Rocket III Touring
Pretty much anyone who cares, knows I dove into the deep water, to replace the camshafts on my bike.

The first time around, I clearly mis-identified the timing mark.

Then I thought I was sure I had it, and set everything.

Then, going through trouble-shooting when the initial start didn't go as expected, I'm again questioning myself and my confidence in having identified the timing mark.

Of course, second guessing myself -- the long skinny object poking through the spark plug hole and resting on top of the piston should be a confirmatory indicator that the no. 1 piston is indeed at TDC.

A photo would be appreciated, ideally from the same vintage engine (in case it changed over the years)

I can check and see what I have on my computor but this might help you. Marks (center punch) on the gear.

crank marks on crank gear.jpg

A close up of the mark on the engine case 12 amd 6 o'clock
crankcase timing marks.jpg

Now everything together kind of

crank and block timing marks.jpg

Hope this helps.

I will light my computer off I know I have some taken with a scope while dialing the cams. Might help.
edit

OK this is with a scope as the bike has a blower on it so the blower case does not have the inspection port at the crank. Instead A blower drive spigot goes thru that nice inspection port.

2009_0131_111937.JPG

Last edited:
Wow, this is a DOH ! moment. As I inserted my new borescope and saw the paired marks, I had to turn the crank back a few degrees, which might be enough for the timing to be off a tooth.

In any case, enough uncertainty has been introduced that I will enjoy removing the valve cover again to check, and if necessary reset the timing.

Are we having fun yet ?

I sure am. Thank you all !

Good photos, Amigos - BUT,
Paul may be better helped with some photos first taken from farther back and then leading up to the close-ups.
Some of us do not have the intimate knowledge of the engine nooks and crannies as youse do.

Wow, this is a DOH ! moment. As I inserted my new borescope and saw the paired marks, I had to turn the crank back a few degrees, which might be enough for the timing to be off a tooth.

In any case, enough uncertainty has been introduced that I will enjoy removing the valve cover again to check, and if necessary reset the timing.

Are we having fun yet ?

I sure am. Thank you all !
I'll get the cam timing tool off to ya tomorrow.

OH and never tune the engine back words when checking timing it mover chain backlash to the wrong side always roll forward on it. did you look in all the cylinders with the scope?

Back