Another one bites the dust

cootertwo

Living Legend
Ride
2013, & 2 05's R3R, 2006, 2004 Harley's, 2004 Kaw
At least it happened right as I was turning onto my road home. Had to shut off, at my gate, and push it while stuck in first gear, with the clutch pulled in, for about 20 yards. OUIT OF BREATH for sure! Guess it's the ****ed detent spring. I've already been into the front of this engine twice. Maybe three times is the trick. https://youtu.be/ZJ5yQ0-bERo

Detent spring holds it in gear.. if it's not shifting gear, quite possibly bolt #12 in diagram has backed out so the shifter is floppy. Needs green high strength threadlocker and it's not uncommon they didn't put it on right at the factory ime.

100065363-0-2_500x.jpg

Ya know, I had suspected that bolt, last time I had the front end off the engine. There was some "slop" that I couldn't account for, and when I looked at the diagram, thought that might be where the slop was. However, it looks like you have to drop the pan to get to it. At least I hope that's all I have to do. Anything else that has to be removed to get to it? It's on one of my 2005 models. My 2013 is still running strong, so no big hurry to get into it, with this heat wave. Might wait for winter, which here in Florida, is just cool, NOT cold. 🥴

Hmmm if it is that bolt, you will have to split the cases to get to it.

This was an 06 engine with 18k miles on it.
This is the bolt in place AFTER i fixed it;
1594929224750.png

This is where the bolt goes in (notice the depth before you reach a thread)
1594929294792.png

And now notice where the threadlocker was put on the bolt (at the factory);
1594929340447.png

1594929381785.png

I'd say the threadlocker barely had a mated thread, and as a result the bolt backed off with vibration and the gear change motion.

Between this and backwards circlips and backwards bearings, they must have had some geniuses working in Triumph transmission installations

OMG !!!! That's why I didn't do anything to it, the last go round. Humm pull engine, split case, almost too much for this old man. Contemplating installing my 2013 spare engine, but assume there are many speed bumps in that procedure too. I think the 2013 engine will work, only thing I can remember reading, is the gear selector sensor thing is different. Any ideas? Thanks so much for the help. ;)

Back