Another notch in the handlegrip

Rocket Scientist

Grand Exulted Poobah
Ride
Black 05' Rocket III standard
Last evening the wifey and I went for leisurely little ride. Passed another couple on an electraglide at an intersection. They turned our way and followed us. The next road we came to had a red light and we stopped and then turned right. I had just short shifted into 2nd (see leisurely above). Next thing I hear is the Harley coming up behind us hell bent for election. I didn't even have time to downshift. He got about a half a length ahead of me just about the time my tach hit 3500 and then we rode away from him. The wife said she smiled at the driver as we went by, he didn't smile back. The bike musta had some pretty serious work done to it to do as well as it did. He spent some money, just not enough :D

Last evening the wifey and I went for leisurely little ride. Passed another couple on an electraglide at an intersection. They turned our way and followed us. The next road we came to had a red light and we stopped and then turned right. I had just short shifted into 2nd (see leisurely above). Next thing I hear is the Harley coming up behind us hell bent for election. I didn't even have time to downshift. He got about a half a length ahead of me just about the time my tach hit 3500 and then we rode away from him. The wife said she smiled at the driver as we went by, he didn't smile back. The bike musta had some pretty serious work done to it to do as well as it did. He spent some money, just not enough :D

Fred,
Me thinks some of these HD riders are not stupid and have heard/seen of the Rocket.
This guy you mention likely recognized your motor and just wanted to see it GO!
Goodonya for applying the appropriate GREASE JOB!!! (especially being two up) :thumbsup: :roll:

Nice one Fred. They're the contests I liked the best - when some try hard thought he'd got the jump on me and I'd just sail past them.

I once told my brother who was setting off on his maiden voyage on a (my) Rocket to hold it steady in second gear at around 3000 rpm and then crack the throttle open. He came back white a ghost and asked me what I'd done to it. He wouldn't believe it was virtually nothing (I think just TORS and a GIPro at the time). Gawd it was funny.

I hear all kinds of stories from Harly owners about the work being done on their engines. I always wonder at what point do they run with a Rocket? Is it possible?

I've heard with enough money they can run with a stocker, but don't last very long.
Even with a Built S&S motor you would have a hard time keeping up with the Rocket. The 131 cubic inch has a long stroke which will not last long (30,000 miles) The 111 cubic inch is standard stroke and produces a lot of low end torque. It would be possibly to build a 111 cubic inch that might come close to a rocket but I kind of doubt if it would be quicker. A standard factory Harley engine even built is no competition for a Rocket. That is why I just laugh at them and let them go their merry way. :cool::cool::cool::cool:

Back