Another High Idle Scenario

tdragger

Living Legend
Went up into the mountains of West Virginia this weekend and ran into a new problem. When using engine braking for some extended decents, my Roc would end up with a high idle situation (1500, sometimes as high as 2200 rpm). This happened 4 times. Stopped, turned key off, waited about 5 sec, key back on, instrument sweep, start. All back to normal.

The decents were made in 4th and sometime 3rd gear with no throttle. Extended engine braking could last up to 2 minutes.

Is this a TPS problem or is it something wrong with the ECU?

ps. yes, I was going slow because I was following my wife who was making her first trip to the mountains on her own bike and she's still learning. give me a break on the smart-alec comments.

Could be the ECU relearning (or not knowing) the IAP when you changed altitudes.

Excactly what happened to mine.It was the TPS but triumph reset it for me and so far its been fine.Cost me about £25.00

my rocket has just started doin exactly what you are describing.
i have contacted my triumph dealer and it is booked in next wednesday.
luckily my bike is only 5 months old and still under warranty.
i have spoken to the tech guy and he is sure it isnt the tps but there are a few on the uk site that think it is, will keep you posted.

Yea, mine is acting up again... I had a TPS replaced and reset about 1 year ago.. same issues.. idle would get stuck at 1500-2000 rpm.. sometimes 3k.

took it in last weekend, they said it would be a few days til they could look at my bike..

I couldn't wait..

so I tinkered with the tps myself and re-adjusted it.. so far so good.. idle drops back down to abou 800-900rpm and stays there.

If you haven't had the idle recall adjustment or tune, for sure it will be free from Triumph... If not, I think a new primary TPS is only $75... Somebody correct me if I am wrong... Every once and a while, the idle will go a little crazy on my bike if I am doing American Grafitti crusing through town and low speeds w/stoplights... Sometimes the idle will be low, sometimes high but never stall... As soon as I blast onto the open hightway for about 30secs, it goes away... Surely it is thermal drift starting to set into my aging 3.5 year old TPS...

Mike....

Started doing that on mine recently, so I took it out for a decent ride & screwed the nuts off it.. :twisted: seemed to sort the problem out.. for now anyway, but TPS seems to be the culprit in these cases.

Back