Another Headlight question

Mighty Mouse

It's All In The Reflexes!
Ride
Your girlfriend
I had just finished a ride yesterday when I noticed my left front headlight was out. I went though the check lists of checking the battery cable loosening and re tightening both neg and pos. I checked the fuse and then took off the headlight assembly and checked both low/high and running light bulbs. All were fine and looked intact but still didn't come on. I then checked the wires for fraying and the coupling behind the headlight bulbs. Any ideas?

It's most likely your bulb
Supply to both lights is common
Easiest place to test for functionality - raise tank - at front right side of frame are two square 4-way connectors for the headlight sub-harnesses (that go to each of the lamps) where the harnesses feed through between the frame rails - unplug these connectors and swap them over
If the 'bad' side remains unlit then it is a local lamp issue (or unlikely, but possibly the sub-harness)
If the bad side 'swaps' then problem with wiring/connector on main harness
- if neither hi or lo are on (nor indeed the running light), then perhaps the ground wire is broken on either side of that 4-way connector that goes to that lamp as that would be common to all three lamp filaments

I had a lamp go out before, the wire within the sheath on the lamp's sub harness was broken, but the sheath intact. Like having a broken bone but the skin is intact. The cold working effect of the steering was responsible

It's most likely your bulb
Supply to both lights is common
Easiest place to test for functionality - raise tank - at front right side of frame are two square 4-way connectors for the headlight sub-harnesses (that go to each of the lamps) where the harnesses feed through between the frame rails - unplug these connectors and swap them over
If the 'bad' side remains unlit then it is a local lamp issue (or unlikely, but possibly the sub-harness)
If the bad side 'swaps' then problem with wiring/connector on main harness
- if neither hi or lo are on (nor indeed the running light), then perhaps the ground wire is broken on either side of that 4-way connector that goes to that lamp as that would be common to all three lamp filaments
Thanks, I'll check it tomorrow. It's 103 outside right now. In the garage it's about the same.

I had a lamp go out before, the wire within the sheath on the lamp's sub harness was broken, but the sheath intact. Like having a broken bone but the skin is intact. The cold working effect of the steering was responsible
I know that sounds simple but I would need to take that down and have my mechanic check that. I need a few things checked on my Rocket any way. Cheers.:thumbsup:

I can only imagine how hot up there, just went down drive to get mail and it's brutal here today too (99 at the minute)

p.s. you might be able to reach those connectors without lifting tank - follow the lamp harnesses back to where they enter through the frame rails on right side and see if you can access the connectors if there's enough slack

This was a classic I think - not sure if Roadster exactly same but think might be
OEM_Headlight_Connectors.jpg

I can only imagine how hot up there, just went down drive to get mail and it's brutal here today too (99 at the minute)

p.s. you might be able to reach those connectors without lifting tank - follow the lamp harnesses back to where they enter through the frame rails on right side and see if you can access the connectors if there's enough slack

This was a classic I think - not sure if Roadster exactly same but think might be
OEM_Headlight_Connectors.jpg
Thanks and I will.

Back