Another dead from left turn in front of rider

Joesmoe

IMOKUR2
Ride
Triumph: 2014 Rocket III Touring
WTOP | Motorcyclist dead after Prince George’s Co. collision

In the military, they used to announce about this time of year a safety campaign associated with the "100 deadly days of summer".

Just a reminder, we'll be out more - most of us - and so will others.

Please review regularly best practices for safe riding.

Please get back to us if you see any follow up, specifically, if the driver was charged. The same thing happened to a good friend here in Port Orchard. A young woman in her brand new car turned left in front of my friend. She was texting.

The impact tore the front end off of the bike and put my friend in a hospital bed for about 5 months. In spite of him being critically injured she was cited only for failure to yield with a fine of about $180. Nothing more.

I had it happen to me about two weeks ago not one mile from my house. There was only the two of us within sight with no other vehicles. He just didn't want to stop to let me pass before turning. I would say I missed him by about two feet. I was fortunately in my defensive mode when I saw him approach so was ready to brake. I almost followed him home but then thought better of it. If it happens again I will.

I have had a couple of people turn in front of me this year already. I do have to say since I put LED lights in the buckets and drive around with my high beam on I have not had a single person pull in front of me, maybe just a coincidence. Between the lights and not being afraid to lay on my horn (Stebel Nautilus) it has seemed to give me a little larger bubble. I still ride like everyone out there is trying to kill me though, because they are!

bob

Harley_Crash.jpg

This was the end result of one of ours on Friday, the car lane changed, we are guessing without looking. one of the riders from our Toronto group, They passed away Saturday, Still waiting to hear what the driver of the car will be charged with. I have seen the video of this crash, and wow was it devastating

Harley_Crash.jpg

This was the end result of one of ours on Friday, the car lane changed, we are guessing without looking. one of the riders from our Toronto group, They passed away Saturday, Still waiting to hear what the driver of the car will be charged with. I have seen the video of this crash, and wow was it devastating

Sorry for your loss brother.

@Joesmoe Yeah, Paul, we have had a few motorcycle crashes in the last week around here. And like you wrote, every year it happens as soon as it warms up all the way through late Fall. I was just talking about this at one of my young aircrewman's retirement party on Saturday. He survived his crash in a similar incidence. His wife blamed it on the sport bike he was riding then but any bike is at risk, especially in congested traffic. The rider mention in your post crash right out side of Andrews and makes me wonder if it was an active duty guy, I hope not...

Nothing's 100% of course, but my approach is to always be studying traffic safety. Doesn't matter how many years/miles I've ridden, I consider frequent review of best practices to be as crucial as regular oil changes. It's just part of riding, and being able to keep riding for years to come.

I've just seen too many “old timers” who think because they've survived this long they've got it covered, and it's terrifying to watch them ride… lots of bad habits. I never want to take it for granted. We get lazy. We forget things. There's always more to learn. It's a way of life.

RIP. Hate to see this.

What I have been seeing more than left turns is careless mofo's crossing the **** center line coming my way. Unreal! I happens at least once on every ride, but more often now. Riding with the wife yesterday all afternoon and it happened 3 times in the space of 2 hours. I end up laying on the horn and giving them the bird. I'm guessing they are on their **** phones. Be safe!

Back