Another cold start question

RockyIII

Supercharged
Hi guys, I'm in need of some advice/reassurance.
Every time I go to start my beast after even just 2 days of standing, it takes loads of on/off on the ignition and loads of presses on the starter button to get it to fire up.
I had the starter relay replaced the other day by a mechanic who said that was the problem. He said he checked the starter motor brushes but all was very clean. So now I'm just lost. Could it be the battery or fuel priming?
Any advice would be much appreciated.

This seems to be a problem with some bikes. Someone 'fixed' it by checking and cleaning all connections between battery and starter and even adding a second earth at the starter.

Our starter motor is bearly capable it is under powered torque wise it has to spin a 35 kg (77lb)crankshaft so go figure.:rolleyes:
have a look at this thread I am about to do this my self in fact I am just waiting on a Quote from Wayne and it will be full steam ahead:D

Never had a problem in seven years with the bike starting, I remember once that I had to crank it twice before it kicked the big boy into action:D
From 20degrees F to 110 degrees F no problems at all. The bike is kept in a shed(my mancave) all the time never left outside at night if possible and then it is always covered, I change the battery every three years without hesitation.

It's a funny one really because it started first time this morning, no problems, even tho I saw 'LO VLT' briefly appear on my ODYSSEY SERIES II guage. Now I'm thinking I could do with a new battery. Could I just charge up the battery a bit or is a slowly dying battery just dying full stop?

All the connections are rock solid, starter is in good clean condition and had new starter relay fitted.

Our starter motor is bearly capable it is under powered torque wise it has to spin a 35 kg (77lb)crankshaft so go figure.:rolleyes:
have a look at this thread I am about to do this my self in fact I am just waiting on a Quote from Wayne and it will be full steam ahead:D

Which SM P# hans I may do the same and a new Battery soon I think :(

This seems to be a problem with some bikes. Someone 'fixed' it by checking and cleaning all connections between battery and starter and even adding a second earth at the starter.

That "someone" was me. Here's what I posted...

Thanks to Gothlander I used my jumper cables to ground the starter to the battery and away she went. I then traced the ground wire to where it meets the engine, cleaned the connector as well as the engine connection and added No-Ox to prevent further corrosion. I figured, while I'm at it, I'll add another cable from the ground point to the starter (may be a complete waste of time but oh well, I now have a well grounded starter at least). It's 7C today (44F) and it started first time. Admittedly the first rev was real slow but it started none the less. I'm not about to ride when it's this cold anyway.

It's warmed up now but I have tested it in the cold many times and it's fired up every time. Sometimes even when it has been too cold to ride I've tried it and although it takes a few spins it fires up every time.

Good luck

Jthree

Which SM P# hans I may do the same and a new Battery soon I think :(
I can't remember but I just told Wayne I wanted the biggest 1.8 kw, overkill maybe but I know it is going to crank the mother
That "someone" was me. Here's what I posted...

Thanks to Gothlander I used my jumper cables to ground the starter to the battery and away she went. I then traced the ground wire to where it meets the engine, cleaned the connector as well as the engine connection and added No-Ox to prevent further corrosion. I figured, while I'm at it, I'll add another cable from the ground point to the starter (may be a complete waste of time but oh well, I now have a well grounded starter at least). It's 7C today (44F) and it started first time. Admittedly the first rev was real slow but it started none the less. I'm not about to ride when it's this cold anyway.

It's warmed up now but I have tested it in the cold many times and it's fired up every time. Sometimes even when it has been too cold to ride I've tried it and although it takes a few spins it fires up every time.

Good luck

Jthree
I have already check, cleaned all connections and the earth strap is heavy enough in my opinion It was even giving exact same voltage and continuity at starter body as battery, as Wayne has been trying to tell us the starter is to small it is barely adequate in prefect conditions even when it does start properly you can hear it labour when it hits the compression stroke and let us not forget it has to get a 77lb (35 kg) crankshaft spinning I only use full synthetic oil and the last time It happened was the day after I had changed oil just recently that was the straw that broke the camels back so I went back and read Wayne's article and gave him a phone call:cool:

Back