Another clutch rebuild and story

JeRome

Combat Veteran
Ride
2017 Rocket 3
D0D1869D-D70E-4431-B1A0-0B25DC213574.jpeg
D2FF6C83-848E-4F43-8B88-56EE3A014D2B.jpeg
hey guys! Ive read just about every clutch post in this forum and the knowledge out there is incredible! However i figured i would start a new post about my clutch. So i was on the way to the shop to get my new tire on and i figured i would do a brake stand to burn the old tire.... long story short the only burning i did was my clutch. After the brake stand attempt i noticed the clutch was out of adjustment “to tight” so i had to losen the cable. But i had no more free play. So i went down to the clutch lever on the case and noticed the dots were not lined up. So i adjust and aligned the dots and was able to get the right amount of free play. The bike ran great with no slip. But then 3 days later she started to slip bad. So now the bike is torn down and i have the new MTC fibers/springs. I didnt like the look or feel of the MTC springs so i ordered the barnet ones. Carpenter racing did not return my phone call for their springs. Now im just waiting on bike bandit to get my steels and gasket. So here is the question. With her all opened up is there anything else i should do? I have a 2017 model.

Yes, stop doing burn outs!!! Only kidding!!
Clutch free play is most important. Good luck with the rebuilding!

If your using MTC Fibers remember to leave the anti-judder spring and seat out. Soak the fibers in oil for a few hours or over night if you have the time. Check the lifter shaft to make sure its not burnt from your playing around.

24CC1D91-C0B2-47B2-AEA9-20850A2615E5.jpeg
8FCDDC43-4F1E-429F-B757-7AF425276656.jpeg
If your using MTC Fibers remember to leave the anti-judder spring and seat out. Soak the fibers in oil for a few hours or over night if you have the time. Check the lifter shaft to make sure its not burnt from your playing around.
Does this look burnt? Should i be worried? I thought it looked okay? And whats the best way to to put the lifter rod back on the the lifter when reenstalling the front cover? How mush spring tension should i get? Do i need to wind it up like half a turn?

I replaced my stock clutch awhile back due to slippage. Went with the barnett complete clutch kit. No issues at all since replacement. Did notice that fibers and plates on stock clutch showed very little wear. Stock springs different story. Bought a new lifter rod prior to disassembly but did not need it. No wear signs at all. Had wife assist when placing cover back on bike and pulled lifter arm forward allowing everything to engage properly. You can feel it all engage. Good time to replace stock radiator hoses with Samco hoses.

24CC1D91-C0B2-47B2-AEA9-20850A2615E5.jpeg
8FCDDC43-4F1E-429F-B757-7AF425276656.jpeg

Does this look burnt? Should i be worried? I thought it looked okay? And whats the best way to to put the lifter rod back on the the lifter when reenstalling the front cover? How mush spring tension should i get? Do i need to wind it up like half a turn?
Lifter piece looks good as for the lifter shaft I cant quite make it out maybe rotate it 90 degrees. Here is a bad verses good and burnt shot of lifter shafts
42097_e3ba549869e9981db94f8c82158d7813.jpg

It looks like yours might be ok just a litte dark in the picture. As sonny said with the spring in place which is like no tension ya just scoop up the lifter pice head as you go on with the cover
That will increases the tension slightly on the spring which is enough. Remember when scooping it up to hold your face straight :)

Lifter piece looks good as for the lifter shaft I cant quite make it out maybe rotate it 90 degrees. Here is a bad verses good and burnt shot of lifter shafts
42097_e3ba549869e9981db94f8c82158d7813.jpg

It looks like yours might be ok just a litte dark in the picture. As sonny said with the spring in place which is like no tension ya just scoop up the lifter pice head as you go on with the cover
That will increases the tension slightly on the spring which is enough. Remember when scooping it up to hold your face straight :)
Yea thanks for the info! My lifter shaft/rod whatever you want to call it looks great! Has nice square edges with no coloration. Hopefully putting it all back together is easy. Im just worried about lining the lifter shaft with the lifter correctly. I do remember how if felt before i took it apart. Hopefully i can get it back that way. Before it had tension half a turn away from the lifter. But will that half a turn of tension put to much force on the lifter and not allow the clutch to fully engage? Or should the tension only strat as soon as the clutch is pulled.... hmmm? Allowing the lifter to truly float when the clutch is fully engaged...???

Back