Anomaly

.060 Over
Ride
2015 R3T
So long story short, I bought my 2015 R3T about 4 months ago and am having transmission issues. It has ~5700 miles on it and I got it new, old stock.

From day one it has always been a bit finicky about finding 1st gear from Neutral (almost exclusively on a cold start). About 1 out of every 10 times I would shift into first it would go into gear and ride about 75' to 100' and then pop into neutral. I finally got into the habit of shifting into 1st gear, riding 10' -15' then double checking 1st was fully engaged. (Not my first bike, nor am I new to riding) I always dismissed it as part of the Rockets unique design, and it just needed to break in.

Recently, I started pushing the bike more than usual playing around with hard acceleration. I found that in 2nd gear it pops out of gear and into N with hard acceleration. It's not a huge deal as I don't push the bike hard 99.9% of the time (let's face it 50% throttle is more than sufficient for most acceleration). On the flipside, I don't ever want to get into a situation where I need to get out of the way quickly and find I'm in N without power.

Finally got it to the dealership for them to take a look at it and they can't confirm the exact problem without spending about 7.5hrs to tear the transmission apart. With the ship rate at the shops near me that's about $750 just to determine the problem, another $750 to put it back together. So $1,500 before any repair is done. If they determine the problem to be a warranty issue, Triumph foots the bill, if not, it's on me. I get that, I really do, I work in the service industry. I go to people's homes every single day for problems they caused not covered under warranty.

What really irritates me is that there is a problem in the first place. I ABSOLUTELY BABY MY BIKES. Anyone who knows me knows this. My club pokes fun at me as I clean my bike after every ride. (When the day is done, not after every stop) My local service shop knows that my right saddlebag is for nothing more than bike care products. Heck on long rides I even coat the body panels with Plasti-Dip glossifier as a clear protectant (BTW if you try it, spray it very wet). I understand yes manufacturing defects occur. But whether it's a factory defect, or just a poorly designed part that wore/rounded I'm irate that I have a transmission problem with a bike that's been taken care of very well.

I'll be extremely surprised if the dealership determines the problem is not a factory error, but I will be beyond disappointed if that is indeed the case. It's not about the money, as I spent more than that on accessories for it already. It's about the reliability. I'm the only person in my club with a Triumph, and most people I meet barely have even heard of the Rocket. One of the things I love about this bike vs any other is the crowd I draw at group rides. Everyone is always curious about the V6 cruiser (LOL). I don't know that I can ever be as excited about my R3T anymore. For me, it's a enormous letdown.

I apologize about the rant, I'm just infuriated and disappointed beyond all rationality.

Umm, well best to have it checked out, especially if under warranty, but gunning her in second has been known to cause popping into neutral. There have been mods made to combat the behavior, but some maintain that second gear remains the weak link. Finding first from neutral does get better over time. Some say choice of oils makes a difference too. You will have a fine bike when all is said and done.

So long story short, I bought my 2015 R3T about 4 months ago and am having transmission issues. It has ~5700 miles on it and I got it new, old stock.

From day one it has always been a bit finicky about finding 1st gear from Neutral (almost exclusively on a cold start). About 1 out of every 10 times I would shift into first it would go into gear and ride about 75' to 100' and then pop into neutral. I finally got into the habit of shifting into 1st gear, riding 10' -15' then double checking 1st was fully engaged. (Not my first bike, nor am I new to riding) I always dismissed it as part of the Rockets unique design, and it just needed to break in.

Recently, I started pushing the bike more than usual playing around with hard acceleration. I found that in 2nd gear it pops out of gear and into N with hard acceleration. It's not a huge deal as I don't push the bike hard 99.9% of the time (let's face it 50% throttle is more than sufficient for most acceleration). On the flipside, I don't ever want to get into a situation where I need to get out of the way quickly and find I'm in N without power.

Finally got it to the dealership for them to take a look at it and they can't confirm the exact problem without spending about 7.5hrs to tear the transmission apart. With the ship rate at the shops near me that's about $750 just to determine the problem, another $750 to put it back together. So $1,500 before any repair is done. If they determine the problem to be a warranty issue, Triumph foots the bill, if not, it's on me. I get that, I really do, I work in the service industry. I go to people's homes every single day for problems they caused not covered under warranty.

What really irritates me is that there is a problem in the first place. I ABSOLUTELY BABY MY BIKES. Anyone who knows me knows this. My club pokes fun at me as I clean my bike after every ride. (When the day is done, not after every stop) My local service shop knows that my right saddlebag is for nothing more than bike care products. Heck on long rides I even coat the body panels with Plasti-Dip glossifier as a clear protectant (BTW if you try it, spray it very wet). I understand yes manufacturing defects occur. But whether it's a factory defect, or just a poorly designed part that wore/rounded I'm irate that I have a transmission problem with a bike that's been taken care of very well.

I'll be extremely surprised if the dealership determines the problem is not a factory error, but I will be beyond disappointed if that is indeed the case. It's not about the money, as I spent more than that on accessories for it already. It's about the reliability. I'm the only person in my club with a Triumph, and most people I meet barely have even heard of the Rocket. One of the things I love about this bike vs any other is the crowd I draw at group rides. Everyone is always curious about the V6 cruiser (LOL). I don't know that I can ever be as excited about my R3T anymore. For me, it's a enormous letdown.

I apologize about the rant, I'm just infuriated and disappointed beyond all rationality.
FIRST of all the fact that it wont stay in gear is a warranty problem and whatever they have to do to fix it is on them PERIOD case closed .

Read the warranty over carefully, Anomaly. That joke of a dealership does not have a leg to stand on. Oh, and you might want to suggest to those idgits that they familiarize themselves with the Magnuson-Moss Warranty Act: Magnuson–Moss Warranty Act - Wikipedia

If it were me, I'd shove my R3 right up their @zz and make them cover the time and materials necessary to fix that, as well as the trans problem.

Mine would pop into neutral from 1st when new but never 2nd! try double clutch from neutral to first. Squeeze clutch all the way in all the way out back in again then drop her in gear. Work like a charm. The trans needs some time to break in mine is very smooth now. Check for a little slack in the cable also 3to 4 mm of slack.
Pull the cable by the sheath and it should have some play. You would be surprised how many dealers don't set them up correctly. Remember 2nd gear has to go past neutral to get to second. The trans is a little clunky, but once she breaks in you may be fine. As others have said the correct oil is crucial. Mine always shifts better after a oil change. But maybe that's in my head. I would not let then dealer dig into your motor just yet, give her a little more time.

Jeebus...... what is it with a couple of those dealers in OK and TX?

This is the perfect way to turn people off of your brand. One dissatisfied customer tells the world via forums and it just snowballs, it has to cost them a sale or 3.

bob

Mine would pop into neutral from 1st when new but never 2nd! try double clutch from neutral to first. Squeeze clutch all the way in all the way out back in again then drop her in gear. Work like a charm. The trans needs some time to break in mine is very smooth now. Check for a little slack in the cable also 3to 4 mm of slack.
Pull the cable by the sheath and it should have some play. You would be surprised how many dealers don't set them up correctly. Remember 2nd gear has to go past neutral to get to second. The trans is a little clunky, but once she breaks in you may be fine. As others have said the correct oil is crucial. Mine always shifts better after a oil change. But maybe that's in my head. I would not let then dealer dig into your motor just yet, give her a little more time.
YOUR correct they always shift better with new oil and the correct oil .

YOUR correct they always shift better with new oil and the correct oil .

Unfortunately, I tried that first. The second oil change isn't required until about 10K, I did it about a week and a half ago. Also used the recommended Castrol full synthetic.

Back