and there she was. What was I to do?

BillyIndiana

Road rash heals-Freckles grow back-Ride
Ride
2015 R3T
I told my wife I was going to a classic motorcycle swap meet today. Shortly after walking through the door my ticket number was called and I won a door price. Bridgestone t-shirt and hat, some stickers, a few flyers, and key chains I will never use. I knew it was going to be my day.

Then I saw her sitting there on the floor. I like it!!! I walked all around the floor looking at everything people had to offer. I went back. She was still there. I picked her up, opened her, looked her over good then the gentleman came up and said," that is a big box." Yes sir it is and it is made of fiberglass. They don't make them like that anymore, he said.

No sir, how much you want for it. How much will you offer. I said ****. He laughed. I was thinking $75.00 was a good starting point. He said $150.00. Nope, I said. I was going to offer you $75.00, but $100.00 is all I would pay. He said it. "SOLD"

When I got home I was so excited, but my wife did not share my enthusiasm. She just has no vision.

I guess I should not tell her how much it will cost too;

• Get new hinges and a latch
  • Touch up the fiberglass
  • build or buy a new backrest pad
  • have the chrome redone
  • Get the rattle can paints to match the 2 tone paint on the bike
  • I am thinking running lights on the back 2 or 4 not sure yet
  • and a chrome top rack
she is rough yes, but I love bringing things back to life. I think she has good form. I mean shoot even my wife has to put on makeup in the morning.

What do you all think. Am I an idiot or a visionary?

I will keep you all updated on the progress. Once I do my wife's honey do list.

Last edited:
Well, Billy, for those like yourself that will go through the time and trouble to turn that "bargain" buy into a treasure, I'd guess that you got yourself a fair deal. Hopefully you'll have no more than $200-250 into it when done, which is a good 50% or so less than the cost of buying a similar piece new.

Have fun with it!

That's a pretty neat old box and you don't get much good for $100 these days, would go good on an R3T especially if you've got the other chrome embellishments that go on the side boxes...

Good score I reckon

Gotta love the initiative!
Part of the "Never pay retail" mentality that I'm so familiar with!
Looking forward to seeing the finished product.

Gotta love the initiative!
Part of the "Never pay retail" mentality that I'm so familiar with!
Looking forward to seeing the finished product.

I don't mind paying retail, but I hate feeling like I was robbed. Everything I have looked at is a $55.00 piece of crap from China or $600.00 plus. The other thing is they do a terrible job of telling you what will fit in the box. I want something big enough I can put 2 full face helmets in. This thing is big, but the Rocket is a big bike so it should proportion well. I think the lines on the box will complement the Rocket Touring well and it will look unique.

It is not going to cost much to get the fiberglass cleaned up and paint. Once that is done I will know if I want to invest the money in it to put it together the way I want it. We will see.

What a deal. I purchased a trunk on the internet two winters ago. Plastic small, and a POS. I welded up a nice platform that fit into the backrest bracket. I used it all of last year, including a 8 day trip with my wife. It sucked for storage. Way to small. I bought a fairly nice king tour knock off. $500.00 for just the pack. Another $200 for a sofa pad and hardware. Turned out real nice. I added great LED rear light kit. You are light years ahead with your purchase. By my math, your at least $400.00 ahead.... Good buy!

I guess I did alright with this 55 litre Give box for $150. It holds 2 full face helmets and came with the light kit and backrest and the colour is a fair match.
ride9.JPG

So I have never worked with fiberglass before. Thank God for YouTube. I am about ready to take the trunk apart.
  • Take out the 3/4 inch plywood bottom
  • Remove the cabinet hinges. Drill out the old latch
  • Remove the spring bracket on the bottom to see if I can salvage it
  • Remove the chrome trim and reflectors
The box is solid.

Starting with the fiberglass my thoughts are to;
  • Patch all the holes with fiberglass
  • Put a fresh coat of resin on the inside. It looks like the fibers will soak it up and it should strengthen the box
  • put a layer of fiberglass mat inside on the bottom of the trunk
  • put a layer of fiberglass mat in the hinge and latch areas to reinforce those areas
  • Sand the outside
  • Body fill the rough spots
  • Block sand and prime.
I figure I need to prime it to seal the fiberglass and I will not be able to paint it till I get the bike so I know how many coats I need to color match. Yes I know about cleaning and tack cloths.

As I said. I have never worked with resin and fiberglass before. I have watched a few videos and that is all. It looks simple enough be it a bit messy. I am just looking for assurance that I am not doing something stupid.

You input is greatly appreciated.

Next will be painting.

Back